PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from a leaping permie

Parky
30th November 2011, 16:35
Just taking my move into contracting after spending 15 years in consultancy. Awaiting confirmation of first contract now after reading the posts on here for a couple of weeks and following the sensible advice from a few posters, so thanks guys !

Parky

Wanderer
30th November 2011, 22:38
Just taking my move into contracting after spending 15 years in consultancy. Awaiting confirmation of first contract now after reading the posts on here for a couple of weeks and following the sensible advice from a few posters, so thanks guys !

Welcome! :wave:

Good luck on getting your first contract. I presume you know all about IR35, contract reviews and VAT flat rate scheme (http://www.contractoruk.com/vat/flat_rate.html) from reading the CUK Navigation links on the right. :wink

When/if you get a contract, you've got to read it carefully. Make sure you understand what you are signing up to - some agencies offer quite tough terms that you may need to negotiate.

Zippy
30th November 2011, 23:34
WWs :wave:

Just play yourself in gently and keep reading/posting on here.

Now - ahem - have you tried bleeding your radiators?

SimonMac
1st December 2011, 09:22

Parky

From here?!

Good luck and keep us posted

Parky
1st December 2011, 19:53
From here?!

Good luck and keep us posted

Ok,

So everything on the paperwork sorted, contract signed at a good rate (investment bank) and start on Monday.

Thanks for the kind welcome - all advice taken (even bled the radiators ;-)

Managed to get payment terms of 1 week upon receipt of invoice (invoicing weekly too) so fairly happy with my first 6 month contract !!

Zippy
1st December 2011, 21:44
Ok,

So everything on the paperwork sorted, contract signed at a good rate (investment bank) and start on Monday.

Thanks for the kind welcome - all advice taken (even bled the radiators ;-)

Managed to get payment terms of 1 week upon receipt of invoice (invoicing weekly too) so fairly happy with my first 6 month contract !!

You jammy barsteward! :banana:

northernladuk
1st December 2011, 22:53

..but are you Spartacus???

Parky
1st December 2011, 23:31
..but are you Spartacus???

No - more a 42 year old guy who can bleed radiators

redgiant
5th December 2011, 14:34

Parky

Hope it works out well for you. I was in the same situation (only 7 years consulting though) last year and it's worked out very well for me. Aside from the increase in day rate I like not having the consultancy overhead i.e. having to sell more services, products or people into the client and managing consultancy staff onsite (passes, account meetings etc.).

TestMangler
5th December 2011, 14:40
You jammy barsteward! :banana:

That's normal (almost) is it not ? Last six or seven contracts I've had have been like that.

Monthly pay went out at the same time as Freelance Informer and faxing CVs to agents :eek

Zippy
5th December 2011, 15:19
That's normal (almost) is it not ? Last six or seven contracts I've had have been like that.

Monthly pay went out at the same time as Freelance Informer and faxing CVs to agents :eek

No, about 50/50 in my experience (current one is weekly, previous one was three weeks) and he's lucky the agent didn't stitch him up as a first-timer.

Parky
12th December 2011, 22:48
No, about 50/50 in my experience (current one is weekly, previous one was three weeks) and he's lucky the agent didn't stitch him up as a first-timer.

Lucky ? Moi ?