• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Stamp Duty

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stamp Duty

We are in the process of buying a new house, and the stamp duty on it will be 4%!!

I read about some scheme to avoid paying this (apparently the Russians who are buying up London do it), has anyone done this with any success? Any recommendations?
    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

There was a scheme about paying a much lower amount for the house and then overpaying for the fixtures and fittings to avoid / reduce stamp duty.

From what I recall, HMRC are meant to be clamping down on it - which usually means that the ordinary bloke will get shafted for a few quid, but the Russian oligarch will be let off a few million.

It's only fair.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Worth reading if considering using one of the many schemes. Not saying they don't work, but HMRC are getting quite agressive.

Tax Advice Network - Blog

I believe a common one is to put the property in a company, then but the shares of the company so the property itself doesn't change hands. I guess the problem will be how to get the property into a company in the first place without that attracting SDLT.

Comment

Have a looky over here

Depends on your attitude to risk.

Comment

A client recently asked me to investigate this for them and the response from one of the very clever tax laywers I deal with was that there is no current solution ( that stands up to scrutiny ) to the SDLT for the first purchaser, if it is purchased by an offshore Co. then the next purchaser can avoid SDLT by buying shares in the Co. rather than the property. On this basis I would be very wary of anything you might be offered that claims to reduce the stamp duty payable on a purchase if it's not from an offshore co.

Comment

Originally posted by geoff from contracta IOM View Post
            if it is purchased by an offshore Co. then the next purchaser can avoid SDLT by buying shares in the Co. rather than the property.
            There could surely be issues with that. The major one might be financing. I can't see the average residential mortgage lender being terribly interested.

I suspect also that it might be a bit of a minefield having the corporate asset placed at the disposal of the shareholder.

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
              There could surely be issues with that. The major one might be financing. I can't see the average residential mortgage lender being terribly interested.

I suspect also that it might be a bit of a minefield having the corporate asset placed at the disposal of the shareholder.
              Most lenders are familiar with asset holding structures but it is unlikely your High Street broker will be able to deal with this. Any lending to offshore trusts or companies is usually backed by PG's from the individual behind the arangement. It can often make sense to use a trust type stucture from an IHT planning perspective but this needs careful consideration and expert advice.

Comment

Thanks for the help - I think I will pass this time, rather stay safe.
                "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

Working...
                X