• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

urgent advice needed for newbie

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

urgent advice needed for newbie

Hi,

I did a contract for 3 weeks at a company. Prior to the contract, when the agency rang me they intially quoted a salary of £400/day to see if I was interested.

They phoned me the next day, to say that the company had actually fillled in the jobsheet details incorrectly and in fact the rate had changed to a much much lower hourly rate (more than 50% less). I got the feeling the agency were pulling a fast one, as foolishly I had registered on jobsite, and put a hourly price band on the rates I was looking for. They were now quoting me the lower rate. I have since changed this.

I figured, as it was only 1 week I would just do it for the experience. It actually turned into 3 weeks. I did not care, since I had agreed to the rate.

The contract finished. Since then, I have found out that the market rate for my skill was what they were originally quoting. Anyway, 2 weeks later, the agency and the company want me to go back and work there, I explained to the agency that I wanted the £400/day.

The client refused saying they would only pay the previous rate as I had not worked for them long enough. I understand the point, however this contract is project based and they only seem to book on a weekly basis (they themselves are unsure of the project path). Plus I had completed the work they had asked for, and was complimented on the quality.

If I go back, have I jeopardized relations with the client by appearing greedy? I don't think they would ever renegoiate the rate. As this it not a role that will build into a 6/12 month contract.

I am new and inexperienced to the world of contracting.

Should I walk away? I wish I had handled things better.

If you are happy to take the lower rate then TAKE IT.
    If you are not happy to take the lower rate then FORGET IT (so long as you have enough cash to live off)

If you want the higher rate then tell em you want it, the will either PAY it or forget about you, but this time get written confirmation of the rate.
    Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

Well I guess thats pretty sound advice.

Do you think I have now jeopardized client relations?

This experience was proven I have no appitutde for contracting, and should find permie work asap.

Comment

generally clients are only interested in getting the job, on time and on budget.

If you wan the gig then say yes, 'it's the sitting on the fence that hurts you balls'

I'm sure many people here have messed up contracts in the past, it's called learning from experience. PIck yerself up, dust your clothes off and get hunting another contract

Good luck
        Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

Basically if you have no alternative take it. £200 is definitely a lot better than £0. Look for a new contract and if you find one bugger off. The client pulled a fast one on you so he can't expectyou to stay if you find something better paid. Just make sure you have a notice period of one month built into the contract.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Thank you MsGoof and Blasterbates for your prompt and speedy advice.

Comment

Working...
            X