• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Facebook shares

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Facebook shares

I'd like to invest in some Facebook shares next year when they finally float.

As I have an account with Hargreaves Landsdowne I asked them about it (you need to fill in a form to buy US shares).

They can't sell them during IPO:
    "criteria for dealing in overseas shares with Hargreaves Lansdown is that the stock in question must be able to settle in CREST, the UK settlement system. Unfortunately, Initial Public Offerings (IPOs) run from North America are not made available via CREST, and we are therefore unable to make any applications on behalf of our clients."

Who in the UK would be able to facilitate this? Can I do it through a US company even though I live here in the Uk?
    Last edited by jmo21; 4 December 2011, 22:47.

www.interactivebrokers.com

cheapest and best online broker in the world.

not sure about getting facebook shares though.

Comment

I'd be wary about investing in a company where its common knowledge that the founder and CEO does not care about money. What makes you think he'll care about making a profit and return to shareholders after you've bought FB shares?

Comment

Originally posted by badger7579 View Post
        I'd be wary about investing in a company where its common knowledge that the founder and CEO does not care about money. What makes you think he'll care about making a profit and return to shareholders after you've bought FB shares?
        Thanks for that.

Just because he is not a flashy guy does not mean he won't care about the company making money.

Comment

Id be wary of investing in a company that is a fad, a rubbish fad at that, and I cant see how it can be worth 1% of what people think its worth.

Comment

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
            Id be wary of investing in a company that is a fad, a rubbish fad at that, and I cant see how it can be worth 1% of what people think its worth.
            I don't think it's a fad, it has almost a billion users. Like saying mobile phones or email is a fad.

Comment

I think the OP was asking how to do it, not for stock tips. But when everyone realises the internet is just a passing gimmick I bet he'll wish he listened
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Rubbish fad? well, not all people like social networks, not everyone gets them, but plenty people do.

Enough to make the advertising revenue streams very valuable.

But as others have said, I'm not looking for stock buying advice

Comment

There have been plenty of IPO's in the past that have generated hysteria only to fall after the event.

Comment

Originally posted by russell View Post
                    I don't think it's a fad, it has almost a billion users. Like saying mobile phones or email is a fad.
                    Facebook is definitely a fad, and is this decades answer to Friends Reunited ................. Friends who? Exactly.

Comment

Working...
                    X