• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Redundancy payments??

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Redundancy payments??

I have been contracting (directly) at a company for 5 years, and have been paying my IR35 dues over this period, but have been told that (along with some permanent staff) my current contract may be terminated early (with 1 month's notice). A number of people have commented that due to the length of contract and the fact it is direct, may mean I am eligible for some form of redundancy payment. Although this sounds somewhat unethical to me, I am obviously curious - does anyone out there have any experience in this area?

Rick.

Do you - as an individual - have a contract of employment - written or implied - directly with the end client?

If you can answer yes the redundancy could apply. Otherwise not.

The chances of you being able to answer 'yes' are remote in the extreme.

n.b. If you can answer yes then your employer (i.e. yourco in general) should be able to get back all tax it has paid over the period in question because you would be the clients actual employee and those payments were in fact net salary not fees. Of course client will also get a whopping bill since there is a bit of NI and TAX due on this that they haven't paid.

Comment

Working...
    X