• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Supply of Goods, stek being pathetic but....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Supply of Goods, stek being pathetic but....

Building a NAS, ordered 4 identical disks from an online supplier. Only two arrived, contacted them and they told me there was a limit of two per household. Was never made aware of that either online of otherwise, totally not mentioned. Fair enough, it's not the end of the world, stop and think.

Get three calls and an email from the supplier saying yes, you ordered four only got two, do you want two more? I say yes, I'll call back (three calls were in meetings at work) and order. Just ordered, or rather not ordered, limit of two per household. GRRRR!

I told the drone I have an email saying I can have two more but no, she's 'contacted her supervisor' and I can't have any more. I tell her I can get my neighbour/brother/anyone to get me two more but she's having none of it.

Like I say, it's not a big issue, just them being arsey and me being arsey in return, but what's my legal standing?

1. I was never made aware of the two per household limit

2. I have an email saying I can have two more.

3. I can get someone else to get me two more.

Difficult to see where the contract is tho re: sale of goods act/contract law so I think I'm on a sticky wicket legally, but on a dry pitch with no turn and nothing for the seamers morally.

There is no contract of sale until the order is accepted and confirmed.

I remember buying 5 leather chairs all listed online for £1.

All paid for and expected delivery.

Obviously they were incorrectly listed and the company refused the transaction.

Comment

What do the T&Cs for the site say? They should clearly define when the contract is formed. What emails did you receive to confirm the order - if there is anything in there that shows a contract was formed, then you are in a better position legally.

However, as a business, you get less protection than a consumer - so if you ordered them through your company then you need to check even more carefully. For example, eBuyer has different T&Cs for a consumer than a business account (question - what defines it as a business account? I registered as a person and put the company name in there, so is that a business account?)

Anyway, chalk it up to experience and move on. Are you sure you're cut out for this ordering over the internet lark?
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
        What do the T&Cs for the site say? They should clearly define when the contract is formed. What emails did you receive to confirm the order - if there is anything in there that shows a contract was formed, then you are in a better position legally.

However, as a business, you get less protection than a consumer - so if you ordered them through your company then you need to check even more carefully. For example, eBuyer has different T&Cs for a consumer than a business account (question - what defines it as a business account? I registered as a person and put the company name in there, so is that a business account?)

Anyway, chalk it up to experience and move on. Are you sure you're cut out for this ordering over the internet lark?
        Bought them personally, ordered loads over internet, ebay, ebay USA, ebay.de never had a problem spare from one broken 146gb FC-AL disk.......

Order was via Amazon to the supplier (Maplins), just had 'customer care' on the line, not gonna give the disks, which is odd, they are in the business of selling widgets not 'being fair'.

Anyway, told her I'll get someone else to order them for me and she says if I do that she'll block the order! Nice! Christ knows how she'll know, silly biatch....

I might just re-order two more in the same way, but their system won't be able to tie up the two. Might form a contract before they notice at least!

Comment

Why on earth are they limiting sales in the first place? Heavily discounted, or do they just want to make sure there's plenty for everyone after the floods
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            Why on earth are they limiting sales in the first place? Heavily discounted, or do they just want to make sure there's plenty for everyone after the floods
            I don't know - business is business to me - a customer willing to buy vs a possible one in the interests of fairness. I'd want the turnover irrespective. Sod fairness...

Doesn't matter any, simply reserved two more at the local Maplins, didn't know they had them in-store, wouldn't have done the web deals thing if I'd realised...

Comment

I'd sue them, personally.

If you need any advice on how to do it, just ask this girl
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Picked up two more today in Bradford, and got a £25 voucher for free so fuuck you Maplins.

Needless to say, I've had the last laugh......

Comment

Glad you're sorted.

FWIW, I used to work on an e-commerce site. I was asked to change the title of the 'Order confirmation' email to 'Order Acknowledgement' as the word confirmation applied acceptance of the order.

Comment

Just got an email from Amazon saying Maplins have despatched 4 drives to me.

FFS!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X