• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Converting Euros to Sterling - Moving currency out of business account

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Converting Euros to Sterling - Moving currency out of business account

Currently paid in Euros into my Euro business account, and, generally ,when it suits I transfer into linked sterling account. However, at the moment, the Euro is bad anyway but the banks rate seems to have got worse and worse.

So, I've been looking at CurrencyFair which allows you get a much better rate. Plan was to transfer money out of euro business account into currencyfair account, perform the conversion, and then transfer back into sterling account. Bit of hassle but it would save me around £300.....

Only thing I didn't think of, and accountant has mentioned, is whether this transfer out of the business account would be seen by the HMRC as a Directors Loan (and it wouldnt be cool since the amount I'm talking at the moment is £15K Euros).

Obviously, you can move money around into a business savings account if you so desire, so what safeguards do you need in place to make sure any transfer somewhere else is regarded to be a business account rather than a personal account? (Is it just the name of the account holder?)

Although even if HMRC do deem it a loan (over the 5K limit), and it was for 5 days, surely the interest payable wouldnt be much anyway? Or is it hassle to sort out?
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Surely all that matters is that all accounts involved are in the company's name? In that case I would hope there's no possibility of HMRC claiming that the money was being loaned.

Comment

Originally posted by borderreiver View Post
      Surely all that matters is that all accounts involved are in the company's name? In that case I would hope there's no possibility of HMRC claiming that the money was being loaned.
      Hmmm. Currency Fair registration does ask you for company name if applicable but I notice that if you log in it just displays personal name.

Comment

You could also look at ukforex. You pay them in € and they pay you in £ or vice versa, rates are pretty good and as long as both accounts belong to your company there is nothing to worry about AFAIK.
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
          Currently paid in Euros into my Euro business account, and, generally ,when it suits I transfer into linked sterling account. However, at the moment, the Euro is bad anyway but the banks rate seems to have got worse and worse.

So, I've been looking at CurrencyFair which allows you get a much better rate. Plan was to transfer money out of euro business account into currencyfair account, perform the conversion, and then transfer back into sterling account. Bit of hassle but it would save me around £300.....

Only thing I didn't think of, and accountant has mentioned, is whether this transfer out of the business account would be seen by the HMRC as a Directors Loan (and it wouldnt be cool since the amount I'm talking at the moment is £15K Euros).

Obviously, you can move money around into a business savings account if you so desire, so what safeguards do you need in place to make sure any transfer somewhere else is regarded to be a business account rather than a personal account? (Is it just the name of the account holder?)

Although even if HMRC do deem it a loan (over the 5K limit), and it was for 5 days, surely the interest payable wouldnt be much anyway? Or is it hassle to sort out?
          Just do it.

I'd like to think that HMRC wouldn't care too much about a transaction like this that is obviously designed to save the company money and the "benefit" amounts to about £8.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
            You could also look at ukforex. You pay them in € and they pay you in £ or vice versa, rates are pretty good and as long as both accounts belong to your company there is nothing to worry about AFAIK.
            Current rate at ukforex is a pantsola 1.1866. Even cater allen is better than that today 1.1827.

The mid rate (which is what you get on Currency Fair was 1.17 earlier today (its 1.1811 now). Same idea - pay in euros, do a matched trade with someone, get sterling back. Only factor with me is it costs 35E to to a BACS from cater allen to them.

Not worth doing today now, since the mid rater has fallen so badly its almost as bad as the cater allen rate (which is updated only once a day - tomorrow it will be worse again). since it doesnt look like getting better time to cut loses and do transfer today I think.

Its a bit annoying because that's £300 less than I would have got a month ago. :-(

Excuse to ask for a rate increase anyway.....

Comment

Cater Allen charge EURO 35 for a BACS?

Sheesh. Sounds like you need a new bank.

Comment

Originally posted by prozak View Post
                Cater Allen charge EURO 35 for a BACS?

Sheesh. Sounds like you need a new bank.
                8E to recieve euro payments in. 35E to send euro payment out.

Free otherwise. And free to transfer from euro to sterling accounts.

Comment

What exactly are the rules for deciding what is deemed a Directors Loan?

Obviously, as a business, you're free to move money around as you see fit into savings accounts etc. Is it just a case of making sure that whatever you move into is in companies name and not yours personally?

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                    I've been looking at CurrencyFair which allows you get a much better rate.
                    I thought CaterAllen charged about 1% over the interbank rate for transfers between € and £. I guess CurrencyFair might be slightly better than that but you are getting into diminishing returns here, surely?
                    Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Working...
                    X