• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Request for a self assesment - already!?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Request for a self assesment - already!?

Hi

My Ltd co has only been around for 2 months, I've only invoiced for 3 weeks so far.

I registered for Self Assessment & unique reference number. They've now wrote back saying
    "We have looked at your circumstances and would now like you to complete a SA tax return"

Is it standard to get asked to do a SA tax return the moment you register? My permie job before this was only paying £31k i.e. below the higher rate threshold, so I can't think of what "circumstances" they might have seen that lead them to this.

Thanks

If you're a higher rate tax payer, a company director or have more complicated tax affairs you may need to complete a tax return. You can send your return online or on paper. You have three months longer to send it if you send it online.
    HM Revenue & Customs: Completing your tax return (individuals and directors)
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Who needs to complete a Self Assessment tax return?
      Not everyone needs to complete a tax return. If your tax affairs are straightforward you may already pay all of the tax due on your earnings or pensions through your PAYE (Pay As You Earn) tax code.

But you may need to complete a tax return if you have more complicated tax affairs, even if you already pay tax through PAYE. There are also certain circumstances in which you will always need to complete a tax return - for example if you're self-employed, a company director, a trustee or if you have foreign income.

HM Revenue & Customs: Introduction to Self Assessment
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Are you sure that wasn't just the usual letter they send you after you register? Mine read:

"We are sending you this letter because:
        • you recently contacted us to register for Self Assessment, or
        • we have looked at your circumstances and would now like you to complete a Self Assessment tax return"

They should send you a proper Notice letter when they believe you really have to file an SA return.

HtH

Comment

Re: northernladuk

I was aware of that, hence why I registered
          I was questioning the fact they are already requesting a self assessment is carried out

Comment

So you will be doing a SA for year ending 05/04/12. Thats how mine worked out, it also meant I got £350 back. So nothing to worry about really.

Comment

Just a matter of course

HMRC send those letters out as a matter of course.

In my experience most of their post is system generated. As if their computers print these notices in the mail room directly (no human intervention), and the mail room simply pops it in the post. Hence a lot of "postal errors" by HMRC in the last few years.

There's no need to worry. While HMRC might be requesting one now, it's just that, a request. From what you've described the deadline is 31 Jan 2013 (assuming they only want a self assessment return from you starting from this tax year 2011-2012).

So, be sure to get it done by 31 Jan '13 - or you will face penalties.

It's important to make a note of the UTR number on the notice as well. That's your Self Assessment Tax Reference number you'll need to use each year. Make sure it never changes. If it does, it means HMRC has duplicate records open for you which would be a nightmare to resolve!

Comment

Working...
              X