PDA

View Full Version : Online eye tests

OwlHoot
6th January 2012, 15:37
These days I occasionally find printed text isn't as clear as it might be, and on a bad day it can be downright blurred.

Not really wanting to make a special trip to an opticians, and being pressured into buying an expensive pair of specs I might not need, I wondered if there might be such a thing as an online eye test.

Obviously this would have some limitations, as a screen is 2D (unless you can get 3D effects with those plastic glasses). But it might give an indication of what glasses I need.

Cue comical posts with giant fonts. But seriously, this might be a plan B for some enterprising CUKker if it doesn't already exist.

Old Greg
6th January 2012, 15:40
These days I occasionally find printed text isn't as clear as it might be, and on a bad day it can be downright blurred.

Not really wanting to make a special trip to an opticians, and being pressured into buying an expensive pair of specs I might not need, I wondered if there might be such a thing as an online eye test.

Obviously this would have some limitations, as a screen is 2D (unless you can get 3D effects with those plastic glasses). But it might give an indication of what glasses I need.

Cue comical posts with giant fonts. But seriously, this might be a plan B for some enterprising CUKker if it doesn't already exist.

How old are you?

stek
6th January 2012, 15:42
My latest Plan B is string underpants, like string vests but underpants. Wear 'em for days, no wet patches, no shit stains, farts blow right through...

(tm)

MrRobin
6th January 2012, 15:42
Got an iDevice?

App Store - Eye Check by Boots Opticians (http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/eye-check-by-boots-opticians/id473952004?mt=8)

OwlHoot
6th January 2012, 15:48
How old are you?

96. Why?

cojak
6th January 2012, 15:59
I'm not happy with online optical tests.

Generally this is the only time that many people will visit anyone interrested in their health.

Opticians can discover the first signs of glaucoma, diabetes, high blood pressure and ultimately heart conditions.

If you are a 25 year old built like a whippet and a regular of the Sunday football team go for it. Otherwise book an appointment and go to the optician.

You do not have to buy the glasses from the optician. Mr C didn't, he just got his prescription and then got his glasses from Glasses Direct.

Old Greg
6th January 2012, 16:02
96. Why?

If you're over 40 and haven't had an eye exam for a while, it's worth having one as your near distance vision will be deteriorating and your risk of glaucoma increases.

stek
6th January 2012, 16:07
If you're over 40 and haven't had an eye exam for a while, it's worth having one as your near distance vision will be deteriorating and your risk of glaucoma increases.

If you masturbate enough you *can* get them back to normal, I've been trying for ages but they just get worse.

SimonMac
6th January 2012, 16:08
http://top-majice.com/media/generatedImages/sme%C5%A1na_majica_readthiswhileistareatyourtitsmo ska%C4%8Drnabela.png

Old Greg
6th January 2012, 16:10
If you masturbate enough you *can* get them back to normal, I've been trying for ages but they just get worse.

Are you jizzing in your eyes?

stek
6th January 2012, 16:22
Are you jizzing in your eyes?

Actually, that could be it. 10cc my arse, I do a bucket and a half....

stek
6th January 2012, 16:23

Actually I regret the use of 'my arse' there, seems gay...

Old Greg
6th January 2012, 16:24

That my friend, is beacuase you are a cum bucket and a half. The balance of nature.

stek
6th January 2012, 16:25
That my friend, is beacuase you are a cum bucket and a half. The balance of nature.

Actually, I'm happy with that - shucks!!

TheFaQQer
6th January 2012, 16:38

Not really wanting to make a special trip to an opticians, and being pressured into buying an expensive pair of specs I might not need

Tesco Opticians do free eye tests (or it's a claimable expense if you pay somewhere).

I get my eyes done there, then go to Ciliary Blue and have an old frame reglazed with the new prescription if necessary. Saves a fortune over buying in store.

EternalOptimist
6th January 2012, 20:45

Yes, I've been finding that occasionally Prittlewell in Essex isn't as near as it might be, and on a bad day it can be far

what else where you saying ?

:rolleyes:

OwlHoot
6th January 2012, 21:14
Got an iDevice?

App Store - Eye Check by Boots Opticians (http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/eye-check-by-boots-opticians/id473952004?mt=8)

one of the comments:

I got one question wrong out of 100, and it said "You may well have necrotising polyneurotic ocular blastoma, and should urgently visit your nearest Boots opticians to be fitted with bifocals

Just the kind of thing I was trying to avoid :eyes

Mind you, the free eye test at Tesco opticians sounds good, as long as they provide the quantitative results.

TheFaQQer
6th January 2012, 21:28
Mind you, the free eye test at Tesco opticians sounds good, as long as they provide the quantitative results.

They tell you what's up with your eyes, if that's what you mean :)

Had no pressure, but they wouldn't give me my PD (which you need to be able to order glasses online). Not a problem, as I knew what it was, but annoying that she wouldn't measure it unless I was ordering glasses from them.

TimberWolf
6th January 2012, 22:26
You're better off going to a proper ophthalmic optician who will do a zillion groovy tests on your eyes for little money. Lights shone and jets of air squirted, retinas scrutinised etc. And an eye test or 10 thrown in too. A veritable fun packed 30 minutes. They will try to sell you specs at the end but you don't have to buy any and they will also try not to give you your prescription in a written form (as you could go elsewhere then) and I've yet to manage to prise this document out of them successfully. They say 'come back when X is here' or 'we will post it', etc, but nothing ever happens even though they are legally obliged to hand it over. I imagine the test is a bit of a loss leader if you get one of the highly qualified bods, which you would ideally as they are pretty clued up.

petergriffin
7th January 2012, 13:56
I wondered if there might be such a thing as an online eye test.

Can you read this?

SueEllen
7th January 2012, 14:18
Under The Health and Safety(Display Screen Equipment) Regulations 1992 if you spend a significant amount of your working time on a VDU your company is legally obliged to provide a sight test for you and pay towards optical devices needed for your eyes for this work.

There is a long discussion about this somewhere which you can find using search but the crux of the matter is you can:
1. Claim for your sight test as long as the optician makes it clear on the receipt/prescription what the test was for
2. Can claim for the element of glasses needed to do the VDU work. This can be all of it if you are long sighted or part of it if you need bifocals/multifocals.

You can't claim for contact lenses/contact lense tests except in rare circumstances, and if you wear glasses normally then you can't claim for the glasses.

SueEllen
7th January 2012, 14:26
They will try to sell you specs at the end but you don't have to buy any and they will also try not to give you your prescription in a written form (as you could go elsewhere then) and I've yet to manage to prise this document out of them successfully. They say 'come back when X is here' or 'we will post it', etc, but nothing ever happens even though they are legally obliged to hand it over..

As I wear contact lenses as well and have had eye tests separate from my contact lense test (see post above) any optician who does this loses more money from me then they gain by not handing it over and being awkward. So in one Boots store the actual optician actually came out to give me the prescription when the shop assistant refused to when I insisted they were legally obliged to.

KimberleyChris
7th January 2012, 14:41
Just try the cheap 'supermarket' glasses first. Most people start to get a bit long-sighted as middle age approaches, and need 'reading glasses'. It's just your lenses getting a bit stiffer and the ring of muscles that 'squeeze' them when you try to focus close-up wearing out a bit.

If you can still see perfectly into the distance, but have trouble focussing on something less than, say, a yard away, then a cheap pair of +1.25 or +5 may do the trick. Just try them, they will either work or they won't.

If they don't then see the optician.