• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Gift Aid

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gift Aid

In order for a charity to reclaim tax back when I gift aid something, I need to be a UK taxpayer and to have paid at least that amount of tax.

If I take low income and then dividends to take my to (say) £35k annual income, I would pay no tax. Does that mean that I can't tick the gift aid box any more, or can I still do it because of the tax credit for the dividends?
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    If I take low income and then dividends to take my to (say) £35k annual income, I would pay no tax. Does that mean that I can't tick the gift aid box any more, or can I still do it because of the tax credit for the dividends?
    I don't think it is the case that you won't have paid any tax.

Don't forget the 10% tax credit that comes with your dividends, I think that counts.

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
      I don't think it is the case that you won't have paid any tax.

Don't forget the 10% tax credit that comes with your dividends, I think that counts.

Agreed - you have paid tax, even though that tax was effectively 0%.

Gift Aid relief: the requirement to pay tax

The individual must have paid at least as much income tax and/or capital gains tax (at any rate) as the basic rate tax the charity will reclaim on the Gift Aid donation, for the year of the donation. Tax deducted from investment income, including dividend tax credits, can be used to cover donations.
      ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Thanks.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
          In order for a charity to reclaim tax back when I gift aid something, I need to be a UK taxpayer and to have paid at least that amount of tax.

Remember that if you do make approved charity donations, to enter them onto your tax return.

The effect of making charity donations 'extends' the amount that you can pay in dividends without hitting the higher rate tax, so for the current tax year (2011/12) you would normally start paying 40% tax when your total income exceeds £42,475 (£7,475 + £35,000).

So, say you have made donations of £1,000 - you can take this as extra gross dividend income, so a net dividend of £900.

I hope this assists!

Alan

Comment

Working...
          X