• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

previous employer reference

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

previous employer reference

what do they actually check?

and is it common for previous employers to provide them with every detail that new employer asks for ?

I was told by someone that companies only give out, job title and final salary. is thats correct?

Any sensible company will only give a reference that you worked from start date to end date, position and possibly reason for leaving (i.e. resigned, fired or made redundant). They are unlikely to say the salary or give any indication good or bad on the employees performance, or else they might get sued.

Comment

Sometimes, what they don't say is much more important than what they do say.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        Any sensible company will only give a reference that you worked from start date to end date, position and possibly reason for leaving (i.e. resigned, fired or made redundant). They are unlikely to say the salary or give any indication good or bad on the employees performance, or else they might get sued.
        WHS

I barely got reference from my university teachers 15 years ago for my MBA Harvard application - they were reluctant because at the time some teacher got sued for reference

Comment

They will ask you previous employer if you were a bit of a sexual deviant or not. If you are they put you up the top end of the office with the 40 year old divorcees.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

can the current / previous employer refuse to give reference?
            no reference means bad reference? is this is how the new employer is going to perceive it ?

how do i know if past employer gives poor reference? or refuses to give one ?
            will the new employer let me know if they not happy about references?

Comment

I believe employers have to give a reference - and if it's a bad one they'll merely state when you worked and the job title, and how you left.

A prospective employer will read more into a sparse reference. I have no idea if they're obliged to tell you what the reference was.

Comment

Originally posted by calacik View Post
                will the new employer let me know if they not happy about references?
                This is a contractor forum not a permie forum..

Also you will most certainly know if your new employer doesn't like your references!!!
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I believe under European law a company can give you a good or bad reference, or refuse to give a reference.

A lot of companies actually ban their staff from giving references for legal reasons - if you think they unfairly gave you a bad reference you could take them to court.

I have always put references "available on request" on my CV, and I have never been asked for them (except by dodgy agents trying to drum up leads).

In my experience most hiring managers acknowledge references are bollocks (you wouldn't list a referee who would give you a bad reference) and would rather go by their own instincts and impressions. If they really think you're odd, they'll insist on a police check
                  Don't ask Beaker. He's just another muppet.

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
                    I believe employers have to give a reference
                    Nope:

Does your employer have to give you a reference?
                    If you want to leave your job you will probably want a reference. It's good practice for your employer to give one, but they don't have to if your contract doesn't say they have to, except in some regulated industries like financial services.
                    Linky
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                    X