• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Todays javascript challenge

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Todays javascript challenge

create a java script URL applet than can turn off the div layer which hides wikipedia from the readers eyes.
    Coffee's for closers

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    create a java script URL applet than can turn off the div layer which hides wikipedia from the readers eyes.
    I just hit escape as soon as the page loaded. That stops it from hiding the content.

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
      I just hit escape as soon as the page loaded. That stops it from hiding the content.
      So it does!
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Talk about an over-engineered solution that doesn't even work properly. A simple redirect would prevent all those millions of page loads.

What happens if you are browsing without JS enabled?
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          Talk about an over-engineered solution that doesn't even work properly. A simple redirect would prevent all those millions of page loads.

the problem is that these websites don't want to mess up any SEO they've performed.
          I suspect that the DIV layer means that google et al can still index the site ok
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

If a site goes offline for a day to Google de-index it?
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
              the problem is that these websites don't want to mess up any SEO they've performed.
              I suspect that the DIV layer means that google et al can still index the site ok
              I reckon that's what it is too. All the content is there when the page loads so Google will still find it, it's just hidden with JS and CSS after page load. And it will work for the vast majority of people.

Comment

If a site goes offline for a day to Google de-index it?
                No, but it could hurt the ranking a little bit. For a site as popular as Wikipedia I doubt it would make much difference.

Comment

to be fair on the Learn More link they specifically say their aim isnt to completely block the content:
                  SOPA and PIPA - Learn more - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comment

I can see the block in IE, but in Firefox (NoScript installed, but wikipedia.org allowed) I just see what looks like a normal front page
                    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
                    X