• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Investing tax effieciently from Switzerland

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Investing tax effieciently from Switzerland

Hello,
    I have been living in Switzerland for about 6 months, I would like to start investing in UK stocks.

As I understand it if I stay out of UK for 5 years I will be exempt from Capital Gains Tax (CGT), however I am not sure how long I will be staying away.

Can I ask if I return to the UK after 3 years will I be able to make use the of £10,600 exemption when my CGT bill is worked out, i.e. if I return after 3 years with £30K of gains I pay no tax?

Also does anyone have any further tips for investing tax efficiently in Switzerland for someone who will eventually want to return to the UK? (My main concern in CGT but I am open to any other thoughts)

Originally posted by reddog View Post
    Hello,
    I have been living in Switzerland for about 6 months, I would like to start investing in UK stocks.

As I understand it if I stay out of UK for 5 years I will be exempt from Capital Gains Tax (CGT), however I am not sure how long I will be staying away.

Can I ask if I return to the UK after 3 years will I be able to make use the of £10,600 exemption when my CGT bill is worked out, i.e. if I return after 3 years with £30K of gains I pay no tax?

Also does anyone have any further tips for investing tax efficiently in Switzerland for someone who will eventually want to return to the UK? (My main concern in CGT but I am open to any other thoughts)

Are you not better investing through your limited company?

That way you have more money 'up front', as your not paying tax on your dividend, and you have no CGT. However, you would have to pay income tax when you paid yourself a dividend.

There are loads of threads on this, so much so it's a minefield.

However, having 25% extra to invest creates a margin that is hard to beat. There is the risk that HMRC will class you as an Investment vehicle, and you'll pay an extra 8% corporation tax. But even that only applies to massive gains on your investment.

Comment

Working...
    X