• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Workplace Pensions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Workplace Pensions

Anybody looked into these yet and what the implications are for contractors?

Doesn't look overly good, I guess it means that you can contribute into a pension fund via your Ltd and this comes off before Corp Tax etc, and the gvt puts in 1/8th into the pot as well...

Is it worth us starting off and registering before the staging date for small companies?

Dave
    Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

link?

Comment

Enrolling into a pension at work : Directgov - Pensions and retirement planning

The staging for small companies is a few years away yet. As a contractor you can simply opt out and carry on paying into your own private pension direct from the company if you want to.
      ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

So the government won't put 1/8th into my Ltd funded SIPP then?

boooooo!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
          Enrolling into a pension at work : Directgov - Pensions and retirement planning

The staging for small companies is a few years away yet. As a contractor you can simply opt out and carry on paying into your own private pension direct from the company if you want to.
          yep, I sort of understood that.

I just wondered if anybody had looked into whether it was benificial or not?

I pay into a stakeholder pension as an individual - so for every £100 [ post tax ] I pay I get tax relief of anout 20% which means that I effectively pay in £120 tax free.

If I opt in, my guess is that the employers and employees contributions are pre-tax + the gvt puts in 1/8, so for my £120 invoiced?

Thats the crox really - if the employees contributions are pre-tax the it's worthwhile if not I'm not sure if there is any benefit??
          Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

Originally posted by Bluebird View Post
            Thats the crox really - if the employees contributions are pre-tax the it's worthwhile if not I'm not sure if there is any benefit??
            crux
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
            X