• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Claiming for Food Bought for a Longer Period

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Claiming for Food Bought for a Longer Period

Question regarding subsistence expenses. I know the topic has been covered in depth but I can't find any thread that puts this particular slant on it.

I work away from home and stay in a B&B Monday - Friday. I do a weekly shop on a Monday night and buy stuff that is ready prepared, i.e. can be eaten cold or microwaved (on the advice of my accountant).

I then stick this in the fridge at the B&B.

Was just having look at Northern Lad's link to the guide on subsistence payments: Subsistence Payments (Sorry, link button not working)

A meal does not have to be brought from a restaurant, you could purchase food to consume from a supermarket or shop on the day.
    That could be a problem as I do one shop on a Monday night

If you purchase food for a longer period from a shop or supermarket and prepare food at home, the cost is not claimable.
    But I don't go home and I don't prepare any food. I just buy it for a longer period.

I would have to go on a separate shop every day just to qualify?
    Seems mad since I'm going to buy exactly the same stuff as I would if I bought it all together on a Monday.
    Plus all that extra CO2 I'm going to belch into the atmosphere driving the 6 miles to Tesco every night

My accountant seems to think I'm ok but I'm not so sure. Second opinion would be most welcome.

The not being able to claim packed lunches comes from here:

Example 2
    An employee who has to make a business journey takes a packed lunch that he has prepared from items purchased as part of his weekly supermarket shop. The cost of the packed lunch (even if it could be precisely identified) is not an expense incurred in the course of the journey and so is not attributable to the travel for the purpose of Sections 337 and 338.

Travel expenses: general: accommodation and subsistence: subsistence costs that are not attributable to the travel: examples

The difference is that you're staying away from home, therefore the food you're buying is part of the business travel itself. I'd therefore agree it's claimable. It's the same logic as if you were staying in a hotel and eating in the restaurant, as per:

EIM31816 - Travel expenses: general: accommodation and subsistence: subsistence costs: example
    An employee is required to spend 3 months in 2003/04 working at the site of one of his employer's clients. He travels to the site each Monday morning, stays in a hotel close to the temporary workplace and travels home late each Friday evening, eating dinner on the way. During the week he takes some of his meals in the hotel and others at a nearby restaurant. The cost of the accommodation and all the meals are part of the cost of his business travel.

Travel expenses: general: accommodation and subsistence: subsistence costs: example
    ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

I would be happy to claim this.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Cheers

Comment

If your worried about claiming the cost of your sarnies clearly you need to get out more

Comment

Working...
          X