• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Negotiation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Negotiation

OK, I never thought I'd see the day but...

Advice wanted.

My current contract ends on 26/05/06.

The client wants to extend.

I've told the agency that I want £45 per hour.

The agency have told the client that they want £55 per hour.

The client has told the agency and myself that they will pay £50 per hour.

The agency has told me that they can only pay me £40 per hour.

I've told the agency that I will drop my expectation to £42.

The agency have told me "No dice, £41 and I'm cutting me own froat G'vnor!"

I've told the agency that they'd better tell the client to make alternative arrangements.

Did I do the "right" thing?

Feel free to respond helpfully or otherwise. Failing that use this as an opportunity to abuse Chico/Franko, whoever...

Go on, name and shame the agency. You know you want to.

Edit - to answer your question, yes you did exactly what I would have done. Whether it was the right thing to do depends whether you find something else quickly.
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac
      Go on, name and shame the agency. You know you want to.

Edit - to answer your question, yes you did exactly what I would have done. Whether it was the right thing to do depends whether you find something else quickly.

I'll give you a clue... They're one of the S3 agencies...

As for other work, no problem. (Interview on Friday).

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill
        What's the problem?

Comment

Their policy as discussed elsewhere is to turn down any client/contractor that does work to S3's profit margin. I would not even start a contract with S3. Had the negotiation been with anyone else then it would all depend on the market as to whether I would risk losing the contract.

I always start a negotiation by starting from a position of power normally gained during the mandatory niceties that start such things for example.

Agent: How are you today
          privateeye: Absolutely great, just paid of my mortgage this week so have no financial worries. May even take a few months off and go travelling with the rest of the money.

Agent is left feeling this guy is not desperate for work - but you know the agents job depends on earning commission. The agent now has to work at getting you to do the job not you working to get the job.

Comment

Originally posted by funkyd
            What's the problem?
            The problem is that I quite like working here at my current client! I can't continue working here because the agency is tied into the equation.

Comment

Do you like it enough to forefit the pay rise? There is your answer.

Comment

Hmmm S3 again...

I suggest you talk directly to the client. If they are happy with you and you are happy with them then it's the agent that has the problem.

Just be open and straightforward with the client, there's nothing to lose really and at least they will hear your side of the argument. At the moment the agent is probably badmouthing you so that they get a chance to place someone else at a more favourable margin. It's up to you to ensure the client knows what is actually going on.

Padinka
                I'm not so think as you drunk I am...

Comment

I think both parties have laid their cards on the table.

It's now down to whether you really like your job or you can get another at the same or greater price, or whether the Agent can find another bod to fill the role quickly to both maximise the agencies margin and the client's acceptibility of the new resource.

You may have a slight edge if you have a good relationship with the client and let him know what is happening with the agency.

Sounds like another day in B2B.... just hope your added value is recognised by the client...now's your opportunity to find out Churchill!
                  If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Can't say I'm surprised. Best of luck with the interview. Tell the client why you're not renewing, and you may be able to quietly slip back in there in a few months, under a different agency.
                    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Working...
                    X