• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Stupid journalists

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stupid journalists

This is getting on my nerves now.

The other day we had a journalists wife suggesting that the foreign office should "get him out because he put his life at risk". Apologies if I sound unsympathetic but the reality is that mounting a mission into a besieged city without permission from the people shelling the place in order to rescue someone who chose to put his own life at risk is foolhardly and only likely to endanger more lives.

Now it seems some rather brave folks from the red crescent have attempted to rescue the French woman who was recently wounded and the above mentioned man and they have refused to go with them. Twice.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Journalists do the newspaper writing thing right?

I don't read newspapers.

Do I give a sh1te?

Put yer head above the parapet, take what's coming.
    Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
      This is getting on my nerves now.

The other day we had a journalists wife suggesting that the foreign office should "get him out because he put his life at risk". Apologies if I sound unsympathetic but the reality is that mounting a mission into a besieged city without permission from the people shelling the place in order to rescue someone who chose to put his own life at risk is foolhardly and only likely to endanger more lives.

Now it seems some rather brave folks from the red crescent have attempted to rescue the French woman who was recently wounded and the above mentioned man and they have refused to go with them. Twice.
      Who else brings news of what is happening in these countries? Or are you smugly sitting in your conscience free left wing "I support the poor" little utopia? I presume you would rather accept the Syrians accounts of what is happening there.
      Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
        Who else brings news of what is happening in these countries? Or are you smugly sitting in your conscience free left wing "I support the poor" little utopia? I presume you would rather accept the Syrians accounts of what is happening there.
        I thought people on CUK didn't give a tulip? http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...ads-syria.html
        Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

WHS

Or should all journo's sit in an office all day hacking phones?
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

You are, as usual, missing the point. If this man chooses to endanger his own life to make a living that is his business. I wouldn't want to stop him. To demand others endanger their lives on his behalf isn't reasonable, and this is backed up by the international development minister, Andrew Mitchell, who happens to be a Tory, saying much the same thing. Do you think he's smugly sitting in a conscience free right wing "I support the rich" utopia? Or do you think he has a point?

The fact is someone else (the red crescent, the Arabic equivalent of the red cross) has taken the risk of going in there and tried to rescue him and he has refused to go with them. Twice. It is this which prompted my post, as frankly it seems rather stupid.
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Brain fart.
              Last edited by northernladyuk; 28 February 2012, 10:19.

Comment

Were the journos forced to go there? They knew what they were getting into.

Your minset that Britain can send people round the world with impunity is 100 years out of date. We are now a third rate country being overtaken by Asia.

Personally I dont support the poor anyway. I support those with drive who create jobs and make the world a better place to live in.

Anyway, a country like Syria needs a dictator to make it work.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                  You are, as usual, missing the point. If this man chooses to endanger his own life to make a living that is his business. I wouldn't want to stop him. To demand others endanger their lives on his behalf isn't reasonable, and this is backed up by the international development minister, Andrew Mitchell, who happens to be a Tory, saying much the same thing. Do you think he's smugly sitting in a conscience free right wing "I support the rich" utopia? Or do you think he has a point?

The fact is someone else (the red crescent, the Arabic equivalent of the red cross) has taken the risk of going in there and tried to rescue him and he has refused to go with them. Twice. It is this which prompted my post, as frankly it seems rather stupid.
                  Although you have a point I think we have a moral duty to support such people who put their lives at risk for worthy causes, just as we should do for Aid workers, people who sail in dodgy waters and get kidnapped and people who foolishly go hiking , get caught in bad weather and endanger the lives of say air rescue people. It is a fine line between "our duty to support" and "recklessness". In the case of these guys I would support their rescue ahead of rescuing some idiot trying to walk across the Cairn Gorms in the middle of winter wearing nothing but sandals, shorts and a tee shirt.
                  Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Although you have a point I think we have a moral duty to support such people who put their lives at risk for worthy causes, just as we should do for Aid workers, people who sail in dodgy waters and get kidnapped and people who foolishly go hiking , get caught in bad weather and endanger the lives of say air rescue people. It is a fine line between "our duty to support" and "recklessness". In the case of these guys I would support their rescue ahead of rescuing some idiot trying to walk across the Cairn Gorms in the middle of winter wearing nothing but sandals, shorts and a tee shirt.
                    IMO all these modern rescues take the fun out of the "dangerous tasks". It would have been no fun for Shackleton if he had just called 999. If people attempt these stupid things they should know they might be killed - or pay for insurance in case they need rescuing.

Comment

Working...
                    X