• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC query

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HMRC query

Hi,

Looking for some advice......

I did some contracting work a few years ago, then took on a fixed term role.

I advised my account of this piece of work and close my limited company down

But they didn't take into account my fixed term role tax liabilities (as they said they dint recive my P60)

now been told to pay X difference by HMRC and possible fine.

Do I have a leg to stand on with my accountant for not taking into acccount the fixed term roll in my accounts.

Cheers

Do you have any evidence of this?

What does your accountant say on the issue?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Your fixed term role was paid through PAYE presumably?
      Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
        Your fixed term role was paid through PAYE presumably?
        Yes it was payed via PAYE.

the difference I need to back back is in few hundreds not thousands thankfully but there is also the penalty.

My accounts confirm that I did tell them about the new role and PAYE arrangement but I didnt sent them the P60 (which I didnt) but they never advised me of this at the time or chased me for this

Comment

Originally posted by thelurker View Post
          Yes it was payed via PAYE.

the difference I need to back back is in few hundreds not thousands thankfully but there is also the penalty.

My accounts confirm that I did tell them about the new role and PAYE arrangement but I didnt sent them the P60 (which I didnt) but they never advised me of this at the time or chased me for this
          The accountant will be relying on the fact that you presumably signed the tax return before they submitted it, therefore it's your responsibility to ensure it's correct. Assuming you signed a tax return.....?
          ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
            The accountant will be relying on the fact that you presumably signed the tax return before they submitted it, therefore it's your responsibility to ensure it's correct. Assuming you signed a tax return.....?
            This is correct and I guess I would be liable for the fine then

Comment

Originally posted by thelurker View Post
              This is correct and I guess I would be liable for the fine then
              You could try to argue with them, but ultimately you approved the figures so they are likely to refuse I'm afraid.
              ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
                You could try to argue with them, but ultimately you approved the figures so they are likely to refuse I'm afraid.
                Cheers

Comment

Working...
                X