• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Accountant needed with no minimum term

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Accountant needed with no minimum term

Hello,

Just started contracting and will be doing it for six months exactly before going overseas to do something completely different.

Thanks for the great info I've already read!

I'll be charging £300 a day for 130 working days.

I'm almost 100% certain I'll be better off setting up a limited company than going down the Umbrella route (anyone disagree?).

I've now got a limited company, bank account, and professional indemnity insurance.

So - time to appoint an accountant.

As far as I can tell, SJD require you to sign up for a 12 month term @ 110 a month, then another £125 to close the company.

Clear Sky charge £95 a month, with no minimum term, but a whopping £400 to close the company.

I'm looking for a reliable accountant that won't charge me a minimum term (because I only need six months), and won't charge too much to close the company.

Does anyone have any advice, or want to recommend anyone?

Many thanks,

Budokan

Originally posted by Budokan View Post
    Hello,

Just started contracting and will be doing it for six months exactly before going overseas to do something completely different.

I'm almost 100% certain I'll be better off setting up a limited company than going down the Umbrella route (anyone disagree?).

I've now got a limited company, bank account, and professional indemnity insurance.

As far as I can tell, SJD require you to sign up for a 12 month term @ 110 a month, then another £125 to close the company.

Clear Sky charge £95 a month, with no minimum term, but a whopping £400 to close the company.

I'm looking for a reliable accountant that won't charge me a minimum term (because I only need six months), and won't charge too much to close the company.

Many thanks,

Budokan
    Your accounts cover a year, it's kinda how the system works. So your accountant effectively needs to do a year's work. Which is why they mostly charge annual fees. Funny that. You could try a local firm, but be very sure they understand your business properly.

And your gross income for the contract is £39,000. Is £400 really too much to get most of that £39k into your own bank account, safely and legally?
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

If you are inside IR35 you wouldn't necessarily be better off through Ltd for a one off 6 month contract
      Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

You could look into an annual service rather than a monthly one, which could work out cheaper if you keep all your records in good order. Call a few accountants to see what type of package they can offer for VAT, payroll and final accounts.

Get the contract reviewed from an IR35 point of view too. Even if you're inside of IR35 you could still be better off thanks to the 5% administration allowance and the VAT flat rate scheme. Most accountants can offer a comparison service before sign up so you can see the exact amount you stand to gain under a Limited - you can then decide whether the extra money is worth the professional fees, or whether you'd be better off brolly.
        ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
          If you are inside IR35 you wouldn't necessarily be better off through Ltd for a one off 6 month contract
          Not a fan of umbrella's but if you only want it for a few months and are then buggering off abroad, I think an umbrella would be worth looking at.
          "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
            And your gross income for the contract is £39,000. Is £400 really too much to get most of that £39k into your own bank account, safely and legally?
            This is a silly argument. You owe it to your business to find the most cost-effective solution, not to throw cash away because "it's only a few hundred quid".
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Budokan View Post
              Hello,

I'm most[/I] 100% certain I'll be better off setting up a limited company than going down the Umbrella route (anyone disagree?).

Many thanks,

Budokan
              Hi,

We don't require a client to sign up for 12 months; we have no tie in fees.

We charge a monthly fee of £110+VAT and the client is only tied into the months they pay, so free to leave at any point.

We do however charge a minimum of 12 months fees for a set of accounts. There are reasons behind this as well

1) Its stops someone joining for 1 month, having their accounts, self-assessment, CT600's, P11D's etc all being filed and then moving on having only paid £110+VAT.

2) 6 months of trade is the same amount of work as producing a set for 12 months.

3) Our current clients who stay with us every month pay 12 months fees, so it is only fair they pay the same as someone requiring the same amount of work and are only with us for 1 month.

4) Normally clients who have not been with us for the 12 months, have not used the SJD bookkeeping spreadsheet or let us administer the payroll and VAT, make mistakes on their own records, so actually it takes longer to produce a set of accounts than for our standard clients.

I hope this helps to give you an understanding why we charge as much for 'one-off' fees as if you had been a client for 12 months.
              http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/dan-moss/18/18/105

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                This is a silly argument. You owe it to your business to find the most cost-effective solution, not to throw cash away because "it's only a few hundred quid".
                Fine. Perhaps you should research "cost-effective". Poor accountants are very expensive. Good ones are free.
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Most accountants are looking to build long-term relationships with their clients so 6 months is unlikely to interest us at all. There is a lot of work involved in the setting up and the closing down of a company which can often be written off (and generally is) through the monthly fee over a number of years. Realistically for six months, it would be appropriate to charge say:

Set up* £200
                  Monthly X 6 £600
                  Closing down* £200
                  Total £1,000

*neither of these would be charged under normal circumstances. But in your case I would say it would be.

Another option would be to set everything up yourself and get an accountant to do a year end for you (fees are starting iro £400 IIRC). You'd still need to wind everything up yourself but its pretty straightforward.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                    Fine. Perhaps you should research "cost-effective". Poor accountants are very expensive. Good ones are free.
                    Are you being deliberately obtuse? Did I suggest looking for a cheapo, crappy accountant? No. You are a fool not to encourage shopping around for the cheapest provider of a good service, just as with any other purchase. Saying "it's only £400" is ludicrous if you can get the exact same service for £300.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X