• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Websites and legal compliance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Websites and legal compliance

OK, I'm aware of the need to display company info on the company website, but I'd like to know what additional legal obligations there are around processing personal information e.g. if people register and give you their name, address, email address etc. Is it required to have a privacy policy? Must one register as a "data controller"?
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Answered my own question, more or less. Now I just have to read it and figure out what it all means.

Guide to Data Protection - Public Data and Information Sharing - ICO
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
      Answered my own question, more or less. Now I just have to read it and figure out what it all means.

Guide to Data Protection - Public Data and Information Sharing - ICO
      Does that mean we have to +ve you now for a useful and informative answer to a posters question??
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Does that mean we have to +ve you now for a useful and informative answer to a posters question??
        No -ve rep because if you post and then find the answer you obviously didn't any research.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          I'll take it, but I'd rather someone explained it to me in simple terms so I don't have to read a 96 page guide written by civil servants.

I presume the initial click through on registering is a must but do I need a link to privacy policy on every page?

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
            I'll take it, but I'd rather someone explained it to me in simple terms so I don't have to read a 96 page guide written by civil servants.

I presume the initial click through on registering is a must but do I need a link to privacy policy on every page?
            Can people land at a page in your website randomly i.e. via a search engine?*

If so just put it at the bottom of every page like this or this

BTW unless you really need people's personal information I would try and design a website where you didn't have it. It's more hassle than it's worth keeping people's details.

*The answer to that is "Yes" unless you stop every search engine in existence from trawling through your entire website.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Nickfitz is a dab hand at this, and couldn't admin put a couple of words of advice your way if you pm him?
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
              X