• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Origami

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Origami

A celebration of the paper folding skills of Akira Yoshizawa with an evening of origami and a chance meeting with a fellow CUKer had Malc and I spellbound at the Barking Dogs last night.

The landlord of the pub, a keen origami fan himself, planned the evening to commemorate what would have been Akira's 101st birthday. Indeed, today's Google Doodle is a tribute to the great man.

Running the show was Ludek Mikloskow who CUK football fans will remember as a former goalkeeper for West Ham United. Since leaving football, Ludek has become somewhat of a master of the art and travels the length and breadth of the country with his origami roadshow.

As we took our seats with Glen and Nigel - owners of our local dog grooming parlour, Woof 'n' Poof, Who should I notice at the adjacent table but none other than this website's Pondlife. A keen paper folder himself, he'd travelled down with a chum to see ludek's show hoping to improve his own skills.

Pleasantries were exchanged and we asked the landlord to pull our tables together such that we might enjoy the show and break our victuals together.

Menus were produced and Pondy's party ordered ham and eggs while the four of us opted for the ham hocks as we all prefer our meat on the bone.

Following the meal, Pondy was keen to demonstrate his own skills but first he demanded that an empty Players No 6 pack be procured. This, he explained, was essential to his trick; it's all to do with the cardboard insert that is unique to the No.6 pack you see.

The empty fag packet was quickly rustled up and all eyes were fixed on Pondy. He deftly performed his party piece with a flurry of hands and hey presto! there it was;

a wanking robot.

A little tug and all the moving parts sprang into action. Very clever what you did with that cardboard insert Pondy!

A very entertaining evening and nice to be able to put a face to a CUK name.

Gricer, in light of all the other crap posted of late, easily my post of the week

Comment

Nice one Gricer

Is Malc behaving himself with the hairdryer ?

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post

Nice one Gricer

Is Malc behaving himself with the hairdryer ?

Milan.
        No, he's been spending rather a lot of time at the local service station talking to a chap about barbecues.

Comment

Funny that Gricer pops back up now that quite a few people have a ban...
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I'm surprised Pondy hasn't popped up to deny or corroborate this story.

Guess he has a sore head. Or a sore something else considering the company.

Comment

an origami wanking robot ??

that knocks my card trick party piece into a cocked hat

you'd have to be a black belt , third Dan or something, to be able to make an origami wanking robot. with moving parts

(\__/)
              (>'.'<)
              ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

That's a great post, Gricer. I occasionally like to get between the folds myself.

Is Pondy's wanking origami robot design a closely guarded secret? There could be a Plan B in it for him.

Comment

So, last night I went out for a few cheeky liveners and have a complete mental block on what happened. It must have been bad because it's taken until now for me to be able to face the bright glare of my monitor.

All I know is I woke up with a ripped up players number 6 fag packet in my pocket with someone named Malc's number on it. Also my arse is feeling terrible. I think this is due to an allergic reaction I have to certain foods, usually eggs or certain seafoods.

How was everyone else's evening?

Comment

Oh dear. That means the secret is lost forever.

A thought occurred to me. Can you still get Players Number 6? When I was young they used to be the fag of the masses, until one could afford Embassy. But I thought that over the years Number 6 was replaced by some even cheaper brands.

Comment

Working...
                    X