• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Company Formation - Scotland vs England Registered Address

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Company Formation - Scotland vs England Registered Address

Evening folks

Looking to setup my LTD company after using an umbrella for far too long and have a query regards my registered office address.

From what I read in this forum if you want your company to be registered in Scotland then the registered company address must also be in Scotland (same rule applies for rest of UK). Currently trying to decide on an accountant and have noticed that many provide a service whereby they allow you to use their address as your LTD's registered company address. My issue is that most of the accountants mentioned on this site are based in England and therefore I cannot use this service as registered address needs to be North of the border. I've been advised that I can register my company in England (which would mean it would be subject to English rather than Scottish law) but I'm a bit wary of this as I don't fully appreciate the impact that this will have.

Does anyone have any experience with this or tips they care to offer ?

cheers

In real terms there's very little difference between English Law and Scots Law.

I had the same issue when I lived in Scotland, I just used my home address in the end.

Comment

Can't think there is any real difference, however is Scotland becomes independent then things may change if you are on the wrong side of the border.

Not sure where you are but if you are in Scotland you could set up an English company and use an accountant's address, if you want a Scottish company then you could pay for an office service.

A quick google produced this - Scottish Registered Office Address Service - Glasgow, Scotland
      "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

The companies act 2006 applies to England, Scotland and Wales so if you are wary of the law you don't need to be as it makes know difference if your registered office is in England or Scotland according to the compaines act 2006.

So you can have an accountant in England and use their registered office and work in Scotland or vice versa

i have clients in Scotland who use my firm in England as there registered office so it is not an issue

is there any reason why your registered office needs to be in Scotland?

Comment

I agree with the above - having an English company means you can have your address anywhere. Having a Scottish company limits you to having a registered office in Scotland. It would therefore seem to make more sense to just have an English company as it gives you more flexibility. You'll then be able to use your accountant as your registered and service office address, keeping your own personal address off public record.
          ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
            I agree with the above - having an English company means you can have your address anywhere. Having a Scottish company limits you to having a registered office in Scotland. It would therefore seem to make more sense to just have an English company as it gives you more flexibility. You'll then be able to use your accountant as your registered and service office address, keeping your own personal address off public record.
            Clare, not sure the above is correct, if a company is formed in England, the registered office must be in England or Wales, you cannot have an address in Scotland.
            "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

Originally posted by Waldorf View Post
              Clare, not sure the above is correct, if a company is formed in England, the registered office must be in England or Wales, you cannot have an address in Scotland.
              You're absolutely right - my typing can't keep up with my brain sometimes! I was thinking of Wales too, and the fact that many contractors who start a company in Scotland have then moved to the UK and had an issue with trying to get a registered office address in Scotland.
              ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Originally posted by acousticinertia View Post
                Evening folks

Looking to setup my LTD company after using an umbrella for far too long and have a query regards my registered office address.

From what I read in this forum if you want your company to be registered in Scotland then the registered company address must also be in Scotland (same rule applies for rest of UK). Currently trying to decide on an accountant and have noticed that many provide a service whereby they allow you to use their address as your LTD's registered company address. My issue is that most of the accountants mentioned on this site are based in England and therefore I cannot use this service as registered address needs to be North of the border. I've been advised that I can register my company in England (which would mean it would be subject to English rather than Scottish law) but I'm a bit wary of this as I don't fully appreciate the impact that this will have.

Does anyone have any experience with this or tips they care to offer ?

cheers
                Hi,

No difference at all. I have Scottish clients who have either. The real thing you need to consider is where do you see your long term future, in Scotland or South of the border? This could swing where you decide to register it.
                HTH
                http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/dan-moss/18/18/105

Comment

You are gonna need a passport to visit your registered premises soon though. HTH
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

If you're in Scotland and your RO is your accountants in England (or vice versa), then what happens if your accountant turns out to be a moron? You won't be able to continue to use their office as the RO and therefore you will need to either pay for registered office services or pick another accountant from the same country as the last one which might restrict your options somewhat. And there are plenty good contractor accountants in Scotland as well.

Comment

Working...
                    X