• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Car Buying/Leasing Advice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car Buying/Leasing Advice

I'm looking to get a car (nothing fancy,a Ford Fiesta)

But I've been looking into the best way of doing it, I've considered leasing but it seems to me that its not really any cheaper than one of these new fangled finance schemes.

Also there is a decision to make on buying for me or via the business (Ltd Co) I know that there are tax benefits to buying a car via the Ltd Co (Capital Allowance) but it seems to me that even on a small car the tax for BIK and Personal Fuel could outweigh the benefits.

Also in regards car insurance, is it just me or does Business Car insurance seem a lot dearbeen getting quotes and Personal Car insurance is about 600 fully comp but doing it to the business was almost double!

If I lease a car via the business do I need to also insure it via the business if I'm the only user?

Generally the tax on company cars does indeed outweigh the benefit, unless you're looking at something with very low CO2 or an electric car. There's a great website that gives you the BIK for various cars here:

Auto Express Company Car Tax

Keep in mind that capital allowances are restricted for most cars too, again unless you look at a very low emission car.

With mileage at 45p per mile for the first 10,000 miles it's often better to buy the car personally, and then reclaim the mileage on business miles.

You could at look buying a van instead - the BIK is fixed at £3,000, with an extra £550 for fuel. Vans can include things like double cab pickup trucks.
    ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

I did a thread about this awhile ago and there have been a few indepth discussions about cars. None came to anything and seemed to boil down to what Claire said.

Try the search in google but if not I will try dig out later.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...h-company.html

http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...-used-car.html

and if you don't mind a German motorway cruiser this is pretty much the only car even half worth putting through the books.

http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...cs-2010-a.html

unless you want a Prius or similar! No thanks!
        There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who do not.

Comment

Can anyone recommend or point me in the direction of some decent leasing companies?
          I think it might be worth even personal leasing.

Comment

Originally posted by cmscotland View Post
            Can anyone recommend or point me in the direction of some decent leasing companies?
            I think it might be worth even personal leasing.
            Put your sunglasses on, brace yourself and click here
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

If you enjoy wanting to gouge your eyes out at the most hideous website ever developed then

CAR LEASING CHEAP LEASE CARS SALES CAR LEASING CHEAP CONTRACT HIRE DEALS

LOL
              There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who do not.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                Put your sunglasses on, brace yourself and click here
                God Damn it! You beat me by seconds!

Comment

Originally posted by topper View Post
                  If you enjoy wanting to gouge your eyes out at the most hideous website ever developed then

CAR LEASING CHEAP LEASE CARS SALES CAR LEASING CHEAP CONTRACT HIRE DEALS

LOL
                  Are you sure? Read this website critique
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                    Are you sure? Read this website critique
                    In my opinion damn right! It's horrendous!!

Comment

Working...
                    X