• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

starting a sub-branch

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

starting a sub-branch

Hi all,

Just wondering is it possible/difficult to create another company using my current limited company to finance the initial cost. (i.e. company A put some money into company B and hold all the shares in company B). Main reason is that, my current company being an engineering company doesn't quite fit some of the business activities/ideas i have in mind i.e. selling things on ebay or websites etc. so may be i can channel some of the retained profit from this year and "invest" into another company?

anything i should look out for? (just intital ideas at the moment, will give it more thought once I get some pointers)

Cheers + thanks in advance
    Happy days every day...just keep invoicing.

Pretty sure this has been asked before, have you tried a search?

Comment

Originally posted by Friday Blue View Post
      Hi all,

Just wondering is it possible/difficult to create another company using my current limited company to finance the initial cost. (i.e. company A put some money into company B and hold all the shares in company B). Main reason is that, my current company being an engineering company doesn't quite fit some of the business activities/ideas i have in mind i.e. selling things on ebay or websites etc. so may be i can channel some of the retained profit from this year and "invest" into another company?

anything i should look out for? (just intital ideas at the moment, will give it more thought once I get some pointers)

Cheers + thanks in advance
      Whilst it is possible, I would not neccessarily advise that you do this.

Assuming that your company has been set up with the normal rules etc, then your company can undertake any activity the directors deem fit.

An extra company will create more cost and hassle unless you have some other reason for doing this.

Using two (or more) companies will reduce the limit of when the small company rate of corporation tax applies. Not sure what your profits are but a small company can make upto £300K profits and pay 20% corporation tax, if you have two companies this is split, to £150K each.

There are rumours that the Chancellor will announce the aim of just one rate (probably 20%) for all companies in the future but this will probably be a few years away.

Alan

Comment

Originally posted by Nixon Williams View Post
        Whi

Using two (or more) companies will reduce the limit of when the small company rate of corporation tax applies. Not sure what your profits are but a small company can make upto £300K profits and pay 20% corporation tax, if you have two companies this is split, to £150K each.

Alan
        Are you saying than even if the second company only made a very little profit you still reduce the limit to 150K in the first? I thought it would still be 300K limit split between the 2.

Comment

Originally posted by dynamicsaxcontractor View Post
          I thought it would still be 300K limit split between the 2.
          Well, it isn't.

e.g. Association Rules - UK Business Forums

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
            That's very good to know, thanks for that piece of information.

Comment

Thanks for the input from everyone.

Sorry, i totally forgot there is an association rule in place.

I was thinking may be my surplus is good enough to start my own property BTL company. but because it will count as CIC i.e. attract alot higher tax. i don't want my main engineering income to be polluted. i wonder how that would work, since company A is small business and is subject to 20% CT and the other one is 28%.
              Happy days every day...just keep invoicing.

Comment

Working...
              X