• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

£50000 Child Benefit threshold

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

£50000 Child Benefit threshold

Child benefit threshold rises to £50,000 in 2012 budget | UK news | guardian.co.uk

So how will contractors define this threshold.

Salary (9k) + Divvies(after CT)??

Or Turnover based?

And does that include other income (ie. savings/interest/rents etc)
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Total income figure on your Self assessment return surely.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
      Child benefit threshold rises to £50,000 in 2012 budget | UK news | guardian.co.uk

So how will contractors define this threshold.

Salary (9k) + Divvies(after CT)??

Or Turnover based?

And does that include other income (ie. savings/interest/rents etc)
      IMHO, thresholds should be relative to median income in the region - £60,000K in Greater London does not go long way at all!
      If UKIP are the answer, then it must have been a very stupid question.

Comment

Originally posted by mos View Post
        IMHO, thresholds should be relative to median income in the region - £60,000K in Greater London does not go long way at all!
        So the well off get more and the less well off get less. Yeah, great policy, can see that one flying.... not. Ok ok doesn't mean you are more well off in London I know but you can see how it won't work and the general (wrong) perception will be bashed around just as I have.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          So the well off get more and the less well off get less. Yeah, great policy, can see that one flying.... not. Ok ok doesn't mean you are more well off in London I know but you can see how it won't work and the general (wrong) perception will be bashed around just as I have.
          Sorry, wrong audience ... I live in Kensington ...
          If UKIP are the answer, then it must have been a very stupid question.

Comment

Originally posted by mos View Post
            £60,000K <-- £60,000,000

Sorry it must be done
            Happy days every day...just keep invoicing.

Comment

Effectively then, going to be worth employing your spouse(presently I don't bother) for other tax reasons, then ensure one partner does not go over £50000 take home.

Spreadsheet time.
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                Effectively then, going to be worth employing your spouse(presently I don't bother) for other tax reasons, then ensure one partner does not go over £50000 take home.

Spreadsheet time.
                Employing her will probably cause more problems than just making her a shareholder (mind you if you were running a mail order business sideline you would be ok there).

S660 doesn't seem to have been targeted so I'm going to stick to shareholdings based on other income (and the £8k take home) and ensure neither me or Mrs eek's go above the 40% point.
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I've just completed the BBC's Budget Calculator putting in salary and div's over 60k and it showed me as still being eligable. The blurb in the box next to the figure stated that I'd still get the child benefit but would receive an additional tax.

Strange...does this sound correct?

Comment

So....

If you have a LTD company where yourself and partner are directors and shareholders AND you take low salary each (~8k) AND you take say 40k dividends each giving each a total income of 48k each, therefore below the 50k, do you still qualify??

Comment

Working...
                    X