• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Claiming for food

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Claiming for food

I work away from home and I buy my food for the week on a Sunday.

If I buy food on the day I eat it it's a legitimate expense. Would the fact I buy it on a Sunday have any bearing on this?

Originally posted by Malcolm Buggeridge View Post

If I buy food on the day I eat it it's a legitimate expense. Would the fact I buy it on a Sunday have any bearing on this?
    It does seem to have a bearing. You can't claim for food bought prior to you commencing your journey/period of working away.

Bonkers crazy but there it is.

Comment

The point about buying food is that it has to be part of the travel - buying it on a Sunday means it's not. There's a specific example on the HMRC about packed lunches. Travel expenses: general: accommodation and subsistence: subsistence costs that are not attributable to the travel: examples

Buy whilst you're travelling and you're fine.
      ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm Buggeridge View Post

Wouldnt you still be eating if you werent working? I remember when I used to put a fiver in a day, of course you dont get the fiver you just save the tax that you would have paid on the fiver.

When I formed my Ltd, and I thought what a tiny percentage of my daily rate this was I stopped bothering.

Comment

You will be able to claim for the cost of a sandwich etc, purchased on the way to a temporary workplace, or at lunch time. We would suggest that the cost of this should be reasonable and you will need to retain receipts.

We would consider that the cost of this would include liquid (non-alcoholic) refreshments and should cover lunch at a cafe etc. What is not covered is the cost of making up a packed lunch at home or buying ingredients at a supermarket, such as bread and cheese etc.

Alan

Comment

Originally posted by Nixon Williams View Post
            You will be able to claim for the cost of a sandwich etc, purchased on the way to a temporary workplace, or at lunch time. We would suggest that the cost of this should be reasonable and you will need to retain receipts.

We would consider that the cost of this would include liquid (non-alcoholic) refreshments and should cover lunch at a cafe etc. What is not covered is the cost of making up a packed lunch at home or buying ingredients at a supermarket, such as bread and cheese etc.

Alan
            I thought lunch was not claimable as HMRC determined that you don't need to eat in order to work.

Also, I live in Leeds and work in London. I buy my food from the supermarket and claim it as an expense. If I wasn't working in London I wouldn't be have to buy the food so the expense is wholly related to the work. As I'm working away from home I guess this might be different.

Very interested to check out the lunch claims though as I currently don't calim these but would be very happy to if I can

Comment

Originally posted by radish2008 View Post
              I thought lunch was not claimable as HMRC determined that you don't need to eat in order to work.

Also, I live in Leeds and work in London. I buy my food from the supermarket and claim it as an expense. If I wasn't working in London I wouldn't be have to buy the food so the expense is wholly related to the work. As I'm working away from home I guess this might be different.

Very interested to check out the lunch claims though as I currently don't calim these but would be very happy to if I can
              I live in Leeds too!

Comment

Originally posted by radish2008 View Post

Originally posted by stek View Post
                I live in Leeds too!
                Me three, mini meet?

I have always thought the claiming of lunches etc are too much hassle to be really worth keeping track of the receipts etc.
                Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                  Me three, mini meet?

I have always thought the claiming of lunches etc are too much hassle to be really worth keeping track of the receipts etc.
                  Scabby Taps?

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                    Scabby Taps?
                    Real Ale fan?
                    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Working...
                    X