• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Licensing source code.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Licensing source code.

Chaps, I have software that I wish to licence to my customers. I wish to add licensing to the software so that the user is reminded when their licence is due to expire.

The software that I wish to licence is delivered to the customer as a toolkit in Java and .NET flavours so that they can develop their apps using the supplied toolkit.

Code obfuscation isn't the answer as our code is written the way it is for performance and no impact on performance is acceptable.

Due to the nature of our software it will be used in systems that do not have access to the outside world so a licensing server is out of the question.

Use of a dongle is also not permitted.

We know that someone, somewhere will try and reverse engineer our code but we'd like to make this task as difficult as possible.

Any ideas?

Just a thought, but if you're selling to business do you need technical license-enforcing measures? Can you rely on knowing who your customers are and when their licenses expire, and contacting them to remind about renewals?

That's be the path I'd pursue personally, sorry I can't help with what you actually asked
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      Just a thought, but if you're selling to business do you need technical license-enforcing measures? Can you rely on knowing who your customers are and when their licenses expire, and contacting them to remind about renewals?

That's be the path I'd pursue personally, sorry I can't help with what you actually asked
      We already use such a mechanism. However, we know for a fact that major customers are using more installations than their fees permit. When we remind them, they do pay up and are most apologetic.

What we're looking for is a way where we can permit a customer to use our toolkit for a trial period and then ensure that they have to pay us if they continue to use the toolkits after their "Evaluation" licence has expired.

That and the fact that our Financial Controller is convinced that we're being screwed over.

Looks like we may have to develop our own solution...

Comment

LMGTFY

IntelliLock - .NET Licensing & Protection
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

A quick search came up with this one: QuickLicense for Windows and Mac, which has all sorts of options.

Even if you decide to roll your own, having a look at the competition first will help you decide what sort of features you really want to include.

From my previous forays into this area, security by obscurity and proprietary algorithms are not well regarded. I'm sure you know that already, but it's worth repeating.
          Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
            Our deliverable is a toolkit in the form of source code... In Java and C#...

Thanks though.

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post

Thanks though.
              License by something like Software License Dongle?
              If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
                License by something like Software License Dongle?
                Alternatively, build a central management system whereby the product must register against an internal central system in order to maintain the respective license per seat / system / user.
                If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post

Thanks though.
                  So you want to restrict access to text files?
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                    So you want to restrict access to text files?
                    We have various assemblies that would be a piece of piss to reverse engineer so they may as well be text files

We can't rely on Microsoft's "SVM" either...

Comment

Working...
                    X