• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Desk move

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Desk move

So next week, all our desks are getting rearranged to use space a bit better and it turns out "we" are doing the rearranging ourselves.

There are obviously health and safety issues involved, but they don't appear to be considering them, which is strange as it's public sector.

Any suggestions how to deal with it? I don't want a smashed foot from dropping a desk and not having the right insurance etc etc.

Just tell them I'm not doing it? I can feel the "what a massive d!ck" stares burning into my head already if I'm just sitting watching somone move my desk for me.

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
    So next week, all our desks are getting rearranged to use space a bit better and it turns out "we" are doing the rearranging ourselves.

There are obviously health and safety issues involved, but they don't appear to be considering them, which is strange as it's public sector.

Any suggestions how to deal with it? I don't want a smashed foot from dropping a desk and not having the right insurance etc etc.

Just tell them I'm not doing it? I can feel the "what a massive d!ck" stares burning into my head already if I'm just sitting watching somone move my desk for me.
    Arrange to work from home next week.
    one day at a time

Comment

This is *probably* bad advice, but I would move my desk, being careful not to drop it on my foot

Comment

Yes, refuse to do it!

Point out you arent being awkward but shifting desks isnt part of your contracted role.
        I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

I can feel the "what a massive d!ck" stares burning into my head already if I'm just sitting watching somone move my desk for me.
          indeed.

But it's your decision.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Id play the "Im having physio for my bad back and I cant risk doing that" card.

Ive also played the "Do I look like I move furniture" card, but it depends on the client.

Comment

To be clear, this is a desk we're talking about, right?

I'd move the desk.

Unless it's made of solid marble and you have to carry it up 5 flights of stairs.

Another option is, let's say the moves are happening on Monday is to say "see you Tuesday then". And not bill for Monday obv.

Comment

Or you could ask for a rate increase, as you are taking on additional responsibilities.

If you have issues with your back or movement, or have a heart condition, for example, you are legally allowed to get away with not doing it. Otherwise, unless you get hurt (and the client would be liable unless you are irresponsible), you should JFDI.
                If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

My current client moved offices (within same building) over Christmas. Friday afternoon we stickered everything up. Movers came in over the w/e. Monday morning we came in, everything plugged in and laid out as it was, ready to go

Hope this helps.

Comment

One last thing:

If you happen to know anyone in the removals trade, this would be an excellent oppo to deploy a substitute.

Comment

Working...
                    X