PDA

View Full Version : Welsh broadband activists declare war on trees

Diver
21st April 2012, 10:12
Richard Brown, Wispa’s (http://wispa.me/about-us/) chief operating officer, said his consultancy is raising money to begin the ‘systematic removal’ of Wales’s trees,

Owned and run by an industry professional responsible for being part of the set up of one of the most exciting broadband startups in Wales, wispa Limited is now aiding broadband users in rural areas to gain an insight into their options for fast broadband.

Four websites constitute the wispa Limited portfolio:

Richard Brown, are you a cuk member :rolleyes: come on, Out yourself, you know you want to :eyes

TimberWolf
21st April 2012, 10:26
Presumably they sap the power.

MarillionFan
21st April 2012, 10:27
Treely awful.

Diver
21st April 2012, 10:27
Presumably they sap the power.

and they have branches everywhere :glasses

Diver
21st April 2012, 10:28
Treely awful.

Their whole philosophy is Rooted in hypocracy :smokin

realityhack
21st April 2012, 10:44
He's just a small business trying to make a living in a crowded marketplace, leaf him alone.

Sysman
21st April 2012, 10:48
He really ought to mug up on the Spanning Tree protocol (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanning_tree_protocol).

Sysman
21st April 2012, 10:51
Idiot! Too many trees are making broadband slower in Wales (http://recombu.com/digital/news/welsh-broadband-activists-declare-war-on-trees_M10096.html)

He adds: “The trees will be pulped and put into use to make paper for the current activity that does appear to be important to the Welsh Government, the nonsense that is Carwyn Jones' determination that Wales requires a written constitution.

“It is estimated that the amount of paper that is required to pursue this folly will be roughly proportional to the success of creating paper less offices once the tree removal begins.

:rollin:

wispa limited
21st April 2012, 11:36
So, most of you worked out that I (Richard Brown - wispa Limited) wasn't being that serious about cutting down all the trees in Wales - but, it was a serious point that rural areas are often much less well served by broadband than more urban ones - and if the Gov isn't going to take it seriously then we thought maybe a less serious approach might help them focus.

It's working to a certain degree, and certainly the awareness is getting there - hopefully we'll see some real progress on that soon.

We are currently running a campaign that is much more relevant to everyone.

The 'upto' charges for 'upto' broadband services wispa.it/upto-charge-upto-service/ is a webform that allows you to tell Ofcom that you want their support to pay a charge proportionate to the broadband you actually get, rather than what your ISP says you may get (upto).

30secs to fill in the form, your email automatically goes to Ofcom - 650+ have already used it.

I'm sure there are rules against ads on this forum (as there should be!) but this generates nothing but cost for us - so I am sure the benefits of all CUK members sending an email and possibly forcing change, are outweighed by me breaking the rules just this once!

So no - I wasn't so serious on the trees - but yes we are really serious about sorting out broadband in the UK.

Oh - and as you can see - I am now a CUK forum member!

Cheers all

Richard Brown (COO) wispa Limited

cojak
21st April 2012, 17:28
It may be a cost, but it's also a good ad and marketing so not completely altruistic...

Diver
21st April 2012, 17:51
So no - I wasn't so serious on the trees - but yes we are really serious about sorting out broadband in the UK.

Oh - and as you can see - I am now a CUK forum member!

Cheers all

Richard Brown (COO) wispa Limited

Welcome wispa :wave: Croeso :laugh

wispa limited
22nd April 2012, 10:14
It may be a cost, but it's also a good ad and marketing so not completely altruistic...

Yup - shame on us for trying to do something that benefits people, without charging them, and hoping that there will be some future intangible benefit for them and us.

Quite correct - there is an 'awareness' or 'advertising' or 'marketing' benefit - but I'm fairly certain that the moderators on the Board are fully aware that the link posting is not by way of - go here/buy this - and have recognised that it is go here/do this so that we can all benefit.

Is this really how being on this Board is going to be?

wispa limited
22nd April 2012, 10:17

Welcome wispa :wave: Croeso :laugh

Thought that the previous comment was going to set the tone for the Board - which was a bit disappointing when everyone else seemed so normal and quite humorous!

Thanks for the welcome - I'll keep popping back to say hi - now will you all go send an email to Ofcom via the previous link!!!!!!

:bang:

cojak
22nd April 2012, 10:47
Yup - shame on us for trying to do something that benefits people, without charging them, and hoping that there will be some future intangible benefit for them and us.

Quite correct - there is an 'awareness' or 'advertising' or 'marketing' benefit - but I'm fairly certain that the moderators on the Board are fully aware that the link posting is not by way of - go here/buy this - and have recognised that it is go here/do this so that we can all benefit.

Is this really how being on this Board is going to be?
I'm a contractor and the Mod who approved your posts.

A cynic amongst cynics. Be thankful I let you through.

TimberWolf
22nd April 2012, 10:58
Lancashire villagers impatient for broadband create own 40-MILE cable trench | Mail Online (http://m.dailymail.co.uk/money/news/article-2133407/Lancashire-villagers-impatient-broadband-create-40-MILE-cable-trench.html)

Diver
22nd April 2012, 11:50

:laugh:rollin::laugh

ctdctd
22nd April 2012, 11:53

:smokin

ctdctd
22nd April 2012, 11:55
P.S.

Trees might not slow broadband, but rain seems to break it quite a lot :bang:

Doggy Styles
22nd April 2012, 12:36
There's lots of ways around this. Couldn't the welsh use rain as the carrier medium? Or an ultra-low frequency carrier through the ground? Or deliver downloads by DVD.

TimberWolf
22nd April 2012, 12:37
:laugh:rollin::laugh

How's the broadband in your area?

Diver
22nd April 2012, 12:39
There's lots of ways around this. Couldn't the welsh use rain as the carrier medium? Or an ultra-low frequency carrier through the ground? Or deliver downloads by DVD.

We were considering using dead cuk'ers laid end to end, but apparently the medium is far too dense to permit the transmition of any intelligable data. :smokin

cojak
22nd April 2012, 13:02
We were considering using dead cuk'ers laid end to end, but apparently the medium is far too dense to permit the transmition of any intelligable data. :smokin
Arf! :laugh

wispa limited
22nd April 2012, 13:42

Be cynical by all means - but maybe dial down a bit on the .... oh what's the point.... your board... your rules...

(slinks off back to whence he came)
:confused:

Diver
22nd April 2012, 13:47
Be cynical by all means - but maybe dial down a bit on the .... oh what's the point.... your board... your rules...

(slinks off back to whence he came)
:confused:

Goodbye :wave::poke:

mudskipper
22nd April 2012, 13:48
Goodbye :wave::poke:

Did he make like a tree and leave?

And I never said hello.

Or asked him if he likes Gladiators.

Or whether he's been to Bridgwater.

Or where the drinks cabinet is. :(

cojak
22nd April 2012, 13:51
Obviously not a contractor...

wispa limited
22nd April 2012, 13:52
Did he make like a tree and leave? No, I'm getting in touch with my roots

And I never said hello. - Hello!

Or asked him if he likes Gladiators. - Not really

Or whether he's been to Bridgwater. Once

Or where the drinks cabinet is. Hipflask only:(

Thought that I was allowed this type of humour (based on my reception) ...:wink

mudskipper
22nd April 2012, 13:54
Hipflask?

Twelve straws - c'mon boys, party at Wispa's!

wispa limited
22nd April 2012, 13:54
Hipflask?

Twelve straws - c'mon boys, party at Wispa's!

Gulp...it's a hipflask not a bucket.....

Diver
22nd April 2012, 13:58
Gulp...it's a hipflask not a bucket.....

Don't worry, There's no way this bunch of tightwads would fork out for straws, well not unless it was tax deductable anyway.:cheers:

wispa limited
22nd April 2012, 13:59
Don't worry, There's no way this bunch of tightwads would fork out for straws, well not unless it was tax deductable anyway.:cheers:

LOL - If you lot let me hang around long enough I might buy the straws

mudskipper
22nd April 2012, 14:35

No-one should come to a party empty handed.

I've brought you a new avatar.

http://img1.imagehousing.com/22/ec686943d4857a22c2fec03db81f8bca.png

wispa limited
22nd April 2012, 15:33
No-one should come to a party empty handed.

I've brought you a new avatar.

http://img1.imagehousing.com/22/ec686943d4857a22c2fec03db81f8bca.png

CUK gives you wings?

BrilloPad
22nd April 2012, 18:47
Maybe Wales could sell the trees to London - along with the water?

wispa limited
22nd April 2012, 19:05
Maybe Wales could sell the trees to London - along with the water?

Valleys were flooded to make reservoirs to pipe the water to Birmingham - compulsory purchases - houses still in the flooded valleys - and now Trent are selling the water - lots of disgruntled Taffs!

Diver
22nd April 2012, 19:11
Valleys were flooded to make reservoirs to pipe the water to Birmingham - compulsory purchases - houses still in the flooded valleys - and now Trent are selling the water - lots of disgruntled Taffs!

Think about it logically, If we don't let the bleeders have the water, they'll all move here :eek:

wispa limited
22nd April 2012, 19:13
Think about it logically, If we don't let the bleeders have the water, they'll all move here :eek:

LOL - in the North they complain about them pushing the prices up by purchasing second homes - I suspect that Wales and England will always have their.... rivalries

Cliphead
22nd April 2012, 19:19
Anybody want to buy some water? I have my own private supply :smokin

Diver
22nd April 2012, 19:26
Anybody want to buy some water? I have my own private supply :smokin

So do I, It's called Wales. the stuff literally falls from the sky here :laugh

Cliphead
22nd April 2012, 19:27
So do I, It's called Wales. the stuff literally falls from the sky here :laugh

:laugh

BrilloPad
22nd April 2012, 19:29
Think about it logically

This is cuk! Did you really return here for logic?

BrilloPad
24th April 2012, 06:10
I am going to declare war on trees. Yesterday as I was cycling home one jumped right into the middle of the pavement causing me to swerve into a wall.

mudskipper
24th April 2012, 06:15
I am going to declare war on trees. Yesterday as I was cycling home one jumped right into the middle of the pavement causing me to swerve into a wall.

Yep - it's almost like they know when you've been drinking, so pick on you when you're at your weakest.

BrilloPad
24th April 2012, 06:21
Yep - it's almost like they know when you've been drinking, so pick on you when you're at your weakest.

I am totally off the sauce now. And have been since 11pm last night. Though to last that long I did need quite alot of weed.

Doggy Styles
24th April 2012, 09:21
I am going to declare war on trees. Yesterday as I was cycling home one jumped right into the middle of the pavement causing me to swerve into a wall.Imagine being a tree. It's boring. Give them a break.

If it takes an infinite number of monkeys on typewriters to accidentally reproduce the works of Shakespeare, imagine how many more trees it would need.

BrilloPad
24th April 2012, 09:27
Imagine being a tree. It's boring. Give them a break.

Yes. That is the general idea.

But generally I am a bit of a tree hugger. I remember in mid 1990s a car with 5 teens crashed into a tree. The doors locked on impact and all 5 burned alive - as did the tree. I felt more sorrow for the tree - after all the kids were driving too fast. I suppose we all make mistakes and they were unlucky that their mistake had bad consequences. But why did the tree have to die?

Troll
24th April 2012, 09:30
Yes. That is the general idea.

But generally I am a bit of a tree hugger. I remember in mid 1990s a car with 5 teens crashed into a tree. The doors locked on impact and all 5 burned alive - as did the tree. I felt more sorrow for the tree - after all the kids were driving too fast. I suppose we all make mistakes and they were unlucky that their mistake had bad consequences. But why did the tree have to die?Technically only 1 of the kids was traveling too fast

Doggy Styles
24th April 2012, 09:32
Technically only 1 of the kids was traveling too fastTechnically they were all travelling too fast.

But it's true that only 1 of the kids was driving too fast.

BrilloPad
24th April 2012, 09:39
Technically they were all travelling too fast.

But it's true that only 1 of the kids was driving too fast.

yes. but I reckon the others were egging him/her on.

I remember they had recently installed traffic calming measure around the accident site. there were pedestrian islands. People used to park between them. I reckon they served round the parked car and lost control. one could argue that traffic calming killed those 5 kids. if one was very warped.

Sysman
24th April 2012, 10:01
LOL - in the North they complain about them pushing the prices up by purchasing second homes - I suspect that Wales and England will always have their.... rivalries

I saw that one first hand, and it wasn't pretty.

One mob of southerners even started their "New Residents Association" devoted to keeping their own house prices up by contesting planning applications made by locals. Twunts.

NotAllThere
24th April 2012, 11:09

You were a bit careless (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izGwDsrQ1eQ&ob=av2e)with that offer.

Zoiderman
24th April 2012, 11:11
yes. but I reckon the others were egging him/her on.

I remember they had recently installed traffic calming measure around the accident site. there were pedestrian islands. People used to park between them. I reckon they served round the parked car and lost control. one could argue that traffic calming killed those 5 kids. if one was very warped.

Bit harsh, been in a car when younger when someone was driving like a twat and no one was egging him on.

One of the other lads poked him on the nose when we got to the pub.

Saw a bad accident in the west country once. Car overtook us, way too fast, lost it, rolled into a field, got out of our car to 'have a word with the driver' and found it upside down in a brook. 3 of the 5 died, drowned, and the other 2 we got out of the back of the car. Remember it very well. Met one of the girls we got out a while later, turns out the bloke was showing off and absolutely not egged on.

BrilloPad
24th April 2012, 12:37
Bit harsh, been in a car when younger when someone was driving like a twat and no one was egging him on.

One of the other lads poked him on the nose when we got to the pub.

Saw a bad accident in the west country once. Car overtook us, way too fast, lost it, rolled into a field, got out of our car to 'have a word with the driver' and found it upside down in a brook. 3 of the 5 died, drowned, and the other 2 we got out of the back of the car. Remember it very well. Met one of the girls we got out a while later, turns out the bloke was showing off and absolutely not egged on.

Fair points. In my defence this is cuk!

And I still feel sorry for any trees hurt in car accidents.

SupremeSpod
24th April 2012, 12:38

Yep, be careful, coz she's the bitch with the switch!

BrilloPad
24th April 2012, 12:41
Yep, be careful, coz she's the bitch with the switch!

You forgot the thigh high leather boots.

SupremeSpod
24th April 2012, 12:42
You forgot the thigh high leather boots.

It's the heels, man, oh the heels! :D

BrilloPad
24th April 2012, 12:44
You only discover how fast 60mph is when you're suddenly going sideways off the road into the trees.

Then it's a case of waiting for it to stop.

Yes. Happened to me 6th Feb 1994. It was doing 40 and lost a skittish car on black ice and spun into trees. Every panel damaged, passenger door by gearstick and parts of engine in passenger footwell. 10 days before I had my 1st marriage. Alas the BFH was not in the car that day.

SupremeSpod
24th April 2012, 12:46
Yes. Happened to me 6th Feb 1994. It was doing 40 and lost a skittish car on black ice and spun into trees. Every panel damaged, passenger door by gearstick and parts of engine in passenger footwell. 10 days before I had my 1st marriage. Alas the BFH was not in the car that day.

Road to Hell - Chris Rea

SupremeSpod
24th April 2012, 12:53
Looking on the bright side, I survived.

Some time later, along the same piece of road, a couple of unfortunates went off, hit a much bigger tree & didn't.

Car burned. :sick

With them inside. :sick

Crispy.

Sysman
24th April 2012, 12:55
Road to Hell - Chris Rea

I believe that song was born from an episode when he and some mates were in a Ferrari stuck in a lengthy traffic jam.

And running out of ciggies.

Youtube: Road to Hell (Full version) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abZlWqVeLzg)

hyperD
24th April 2012, 12:59
You only discover how fast 60mph is when you're suddenly going sideways off the road into the trees.

Then it's a case of waiting for it to stop.

Too true brother, or fishtailing the TVR Tuscan joining the M25 hard accelerating from the slip road at those speeds - only the influence of divine intervention taking over my hands to counteract the fishtailing saved the day. It was like Neo watching himself one arm fight Agent Smith in the first Matrix.

I literally shat myself. As did the other drivers around me I imagine... :(

wispa limited
24th April 2012, 15:25
Too true brother, or fishtailing the TVR Tuscan joining the M25 hard accelerating from the slip road at those speeds - only the influence of divine intervention taking over my hands to counteract the fishtailing saved the day. It was like Neo watching himself one arm fight Agent Smith in the first Matrix.

I literally shat myself. As did the other drivers around me I imagine... :(

From broadband to defecating in 7 short pages, you guys make me proud :smile

hyperD
24th April 2012, 17:39

:D

Welcome to CUK!

Sysman
24th April 2012, 17:43
You can't beat fishtailing on the motorway for clearing up transient constipation.

Did much the same thing in my Dutton Phaeces when some daft clown didn't see me & pulled out to overtake sommat whilst I was overtaking him/her/it.

All it took was a blip on the throttle.

That 3 Series Beemer was good at going sideways on wet cobbles.

Only a slight throttle blip required.

Not fun in heavy traffic.

wispa limited
24th April 2012, 17:54

I had a jeep cherokee - in two wheel drive it was as scary as buggery in the rain - solid as a rock in 4x4 but thirstier than a CUK forum member

SupremeSpod
25th April 2012, 05:52

I had a 3 series (quite) a few years ago and you made very sure you were out of second gear asap/pretty damn quick!

Parked its arse end on a roundabout outside the "Metrocentre" in Gateshead. That was interesting...

vetran
25th April 2012, 09:34

Hello:wave:
They are on best behaviour!

Though I suspect the Gladiators question was a veiled reference to Crassus's snail quote from Spartacus so Trees to 'Wood' was much faster. If someone asks what is in your robe - run! In jokes heh?

Rain falling from the sky? We are that posh down south ours comes up through the road.

Keep up the good work, lets see ISP's charge for what they provide not what they might be able to if you actually live in the exchange. Personally I would have held off until April the 1st though.1

Sysman
25th April 2012, 09:53
I had a 3 series (quite) a few years ago and you made very sure you were out of second gear asap/pretty damn quick!

Parked its arse end on a roundabout outside the "Metrocentre" in Gateshead. That was interesting...

Yep. getting out of second gear was a good idea. Not always easy in city traffic though.

I swore I'd never have another Beemer until they fixed that back axle arrangement, and other more interesting stuff arrived while I was waiting.

See how the full width of the tyres isn't in contact with the road:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/63/Swing_Axle_Diagram.svg/656px-Swing_Axle_Diagram.svg.png

wispa limited
25th April 2012, 09:58
Hello:wave:
They are on best behaviour!

Though I suspect the Gladiators question was a veiled reference to Crassus's snail quote from Spartacus so Trees to 'Wood' was much faster. If someone asks what is in your robe - run! In jokes heh?

Rain falling from the sky? We are that posh down south ours comes up through the road.

Keep up the good work, lets see ISP's charge for what they provide not what they might be able to if you actually live in the exchange. Personally I would have held off until April the 1st though.1

Well it certainly wouldn't hurt if the entire Board would rush to send an email - I even had the site tidied at the prospect of visitors!

Sysman
25th April 2012, 10:02
Personally I would have held off until April the 1st though.1

WHS. It might have got more exposure from the annual roundup of April Fool stories.