• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Late annual return anyone?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Late annual return anyone?

I'm getting a bit edgy as my annual return is almost two weeks late now.
    I've lost the webfiling authentication code and it should be in the post now...
    Wonder what the implications of this will be :-(

Originally posted by yetanotherbob View Post
    I'm getting a bit edgy as my annual return is almost two weeks late now.
    I've lost the webfiling authentication code and it should be in the post now...
    Wonder what the implications of this will be :-(
    Link

£150 fine if up to 1 month late.

Comment

Originally posted by bless 'em all View Post
      £150 fine if up to 1 month late.
      For late accounts yes, but the question was re late annual return for which AFAIK there is no automatic penalty.

However:-

It is a criminal offence not to deliver the company's annual return within 28 days of the legal return date, for which company secretaries and directors may be prosecuted. Failing to file the annual return on time, or not at all, could result in prosecution. If you are convicted you could end up with a criminal record and a fine of up to £5,000. You may be disqualified from acting as a director.

Annual return deadlines | Business Link

yetanotherbob, if you are concerned about this it may be prudent to give Companies House a quick call or email.

Comment

Don't sweat it I had an accountant problem in 2006 and didn't make the company return or hmrc filing for over a year and a half. And I know someone that had payed the cash but technically never made a single return vat or corp tax or NI (his accountant was a twunt) other than a few tulipy letters he was fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Contreras View Post
          For late accounts yes, but the question was re late annual return for which AFAIK there is no automatic penalty.

However:-

It is a criminal offence not to deliver the company's annual return within 28 days of the legal return date, for which company secretaries and directors may be prosecuted. Failing to file the annual return on time, or not at all, could result in prosecution. If you are convicted you could end up with a criminal record and a fine of up to £5,000. You may be disqualified from acting as a director.

Annual return deadlines | Business Link

yetanotherbob, if you are concerned about this it may be prudent to give Companies House a quick call or email.
          Thanks for that. I have dropped them an email and will call up first thing Monday morning. I suppose i have 28 days before this thing actually becomes a 'criminal' offence.
          I did find this: late filing of annual return | AccountingWEB
          although it's not mentioned how late the client was before they got a summons.

I know it's not a good excuse but shouldn't have relied on the bloody accountant. so bloody incompetent.

Comment

Working...
          X