• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IT Consultant in tax fraud case

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IT Consultant in tax fraud case

News : NDS
    Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

A "scheme" that worked perfectly well for 10 years.

So he's going to have bill of somewhere between £1 mill and £2 mill and presumably a few months in the "clink".

Effectively after a long career in IT he'll be worse off than he was before he started.

Well he isn't the only one.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
      A "scheme" that worked perfectly well for 10 years.

So he's going to have bill of somewhere between £1 mill and £2 mill and presumably a few months in the "clink".

Effectively after a long career in IT he'll be worse off than he was before he started.

Well he isn't the only one.
      Isn't his bill £635,015 as detailed at the bottom?

2. During the period 06 April 1999 - 05 April 2008 the total loss to the exchequer was £635,015
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Isn't his bill £635,015 as detailed at the bottom?
        Plus 13 years interest, plus potentially 100% penalty. I'd be stunned if the final bill was less than a million.

Comment

"The tax system depends on people being honest but Maxwell consistently tried to conceal his income."

They are hardly encouring that when they constantly blur the distinction between avoidance and evasion.

Comment

Originally posted by deckster View Post
            Plus 13 years interest, plus potentially 100% penalty. I'd be stunned if the final bill was less than a million.
            And more so if the Exchequer will see any of it...

Comment

Bet he's wishing he just went brolly now isn't he.

Comment

What is not clear to me from that is how much of the evasion was due to using an offshore solution and how much was due to not declaring any income in the UK company.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
                  "The tax system depends on people being honest but Maxwell consistently tried to conceal his income."

They are hardly encouring that when they constantly blur the distinction between avoidance and evasion.
                  I could agree with this to some extent in some cases but looking at the short paragraph that mentions a summary of his actions it doesn't look like this is someone using systems in good faith and being caught by a blur IMO. Would like to see the full transcript out of interest but there seems to be consistent and sustained attempt to evade tax here. Obviously this is on the HMRC site so has a reporting bias to it though.....

Between 1999 and 2008 Maxwell worked as an IT consultant for City of London banks. Fees were paid to companies - of which he was a hidden beneficiary - registered in Gibraltar and the Isle of Man. From 2005 the income was paid to a UK registered company which never made any tax returns.

Comment

More info here chaps High earner operated decade-long tax scam - Dumfries and Galloway Standard Seems as though this was actual evasion
                    Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Working...
                    X