• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Accountancy asks for 1 year engagement

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Accountancy asks for 1 year engagement

Hello,

My friend recommended me an accountant company. This is a small company in City, just 4 people in their office. I visited them and really liked how they spoke with me and explained to me what services they are going to provide. But in agreement with client they have 1 year engagement.

Is this normal? (Before my accountants was a large company and I did not have any obligations to stay with them).

Thanks in advance...

Some accountant's will insist on a year, especially if they are 'high street' accountants and only bill you at year end. Otherwise you could get free advice all year, then leave before paying a penny.

If you're paying for a monthly service then you're less likely to have a tie in period, just a notice period of say 30 days. Check for termination fees though, sometimes you'll find an extra fee if you want to leave.
    ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Not unusual in the smaller accountancies. They don't want you to bugger off after doing the grunt work of your year-end, potentially leaving them out of pocket.
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by anddrew View Post
        This is a small company in City, just 4 people in their office.
        Personally I would find somewhere out of town which will be more local to me and where their office costs(and hence charges to you) would be cheaper.

Comment

Thanks!

This small agency does ask for monthly payment (£110+VAT), but they have 1 year angagement. So if I don't like their service, it means I will have to pay for the whole year if I want to leave.

(Local agency near my home would be a problem for me to pop in and talk, as I spend the whole day in City. Also I beleive - maybe I'm wrong, being in a small town accontants less deal with IT contractors and less experienced in it).

Comment

The one year engagement letter is very common with most firms of accountants, i would make sure you read and understand it and check for any fees for leaving early.

Comment

Originally posted by anddrew View Post
              This small agency does ask for monthly payment (£110+VAT), but they have 1 year engagement.
              Sounds like a long tie-in period. I think most contractor accounting firms where a monthly fee is paid will have a much shorter termination period, though as Craig points out, some do charge exit fees. I think explain your concerns to them surrounding the tie-in period and see if there is any room for negotiation - as its a smaller firm there may be some room for negotiation that can be quickly settled.
              2012 CUK Reader Awards - '...Capital City Accountancy, all of whom were outside the top three yet still won compliments from CUK readers for their services' - well, its not an award, but we'll take it! - Best Accountant (for IT contractors) category
              2011 CUK Reader Awards - Top 3 - Best Accountant (for IT contractors) category
              || Check us out at: http://www.linkedin.com/company/capi...ccountancy-ltd

Comment

Working...
              X