• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting in Belgium -Through UK LTD. OR oversees trust?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contracting in Belgium -Through UK LTD. OR oversees trust?

I have been working in Belgium through my UK limited company for 3 months. Although most of my UK colleagues in Belgium are working through schemes that let them net around 85% of their earnings using tax structures offered by companies like www.itstax.com. My questions:

- Can I switch over to a similar scheme after already contracting for 3 months without any added tax burden in UK/BE?
    - Do I come under IR35 even though I am working outside the UK?
    - How much can I net (% estimate) on annual earnings of 100k if I continue to work under my limited company?
    Thanks.

I have worked in Belgium for eight years through an ITS scheme with no issues. The scheme I use requires you to register and be tax-resident in Belgium, which presumably you aren't as you're working through a UK Ltd.
    You could just duck and dive and work through the UK Ltd, but it's not legal. Most contractors get away with it. The odd one doesn't and has to leave the country "quickly".
    hth
    ps. overseas
    Last edited by Fleetwood; 31 May 2006, 07:17.
    We must strike at the lies that have spread like disease through our minds

Comment

Originally posted by Fleetwood
      You could just duck and dive and work through the UK Ltd, but it's not legal.
      Surely it's perfectly legal until such point as you become tax resident in Belgium (I don't know the criteria for that).

Comment

The whole point is that you are taxed on the money where you earn it.
        And you have to register as soon as you get to the country.
        You can operate through a UK limited for up to 6 months, BUT you have to declare your income to the Belgian authorities. They don't really recognise one-man Ltds, so would look at the company's turnover, not your miniscule salary, so be careful.
        If you insist on being legal, and many aren't, and it's a short-term contract, then you could become an "employee" of a Swiss company that has sent you to Belgium on a consulting mission ( ). You pay Swiss NI, and Belgian Tax on your nominal earnings, your flat is an expense that the company pays you for, you bill the company for the mileage you do etc etc.
        For longer term assignments where totally legitimacy is a pre-requisite, a scheme from ITS or equivalent is what I would go for.

Comment

Fleetwood - Thanks for your response. Do you have any idea regarding the specific questions I asked? Thanks.

- Can I switch over to a similar scheme after already contracting for 3 months without any added tax burden in UK/BE?
          - How much can I net (% estimate) on annual earnings of 100k if I continue to work under my limited company?

Comment

Also - Does anyone know any other credible companies which provide similar services to ITS?

Comment

In UK, yes. Because you'd leave the UK and be a Belgian resident. If you "forget" to tell the Belgians you've already been working there, then what they don't know can't harm them.

No idea. Leave UK = no IR35

No idea. If you don't wish to register in Belgium and want to continue to work through a company, then get a Luxembourg one off the shelf (?)

Comment

Supplemental

Sorry to thread hijack - Just a quick question: When contracting in Belgium do I have to know how to speak the lingo?
                ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse
                  Sorry to thread hijack - Just a quick question: When contracting in Belgium do I have to know how to speak the lingo?
                  Which lingo would that be?

tim

Comment

Well, French I assume, I certainly wouldn't attempt Flemish.
                    ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Working...
                    X