• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Horrified : every UK company balance sheet one-click away !

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Horrified : every UK company balance sheet one-click away !

Hi all,

I've recently discovered with horror that some companies provide the balance sheet of my own ltd, as every other UK ltd, on the web for free for the whole world to see (you used to have to go through the process of registering and paying a few quids to do that). A simple google search on my company name (or even my own personal name !) provides my company balance sheet data in the first result page, just one-click away ! Personally I find this horribly intrusive and it sickens me.

I was wondering if it is possible to trade as a contractor in the UK using an offshore company in a country that does not exhibit company financial information free for everybody to see on the web ?

Thanks in advance for your enlightening answers.

Cheers.

Originally posted by DannyR View Post
    I was wondering if it is possible to trade as a contractor in the UK using an offshore company in a country that does not exhibit company financial information free for everybody to see on the web ?

No. Next.

You could of course use a brolly if you're that worried about privacy.

Comment

It's to prevent companies from hiding their financial information. it's also handy where Ltd's are being assessed by public bodies and within the construction & heavy Engineering Industries pre-contract to determine whether the company has adequate resources etc.
      A companies Health & Safety information is also freely available online and one can check RIDDOR for reportable injuries or deseases and the HSE for Breaches in H&S that have resulted in enforcements.

As an example my typical assessment report would contain;

Accounts 2009
      Accounts 2010
      Accounts 2011
      Applicants Profile
      Grounds for Exclusion
      Environmental & BREEAM
      Health & Safety
      Equal Opportunities
      Section N – Technical Capacity
      Project History
      Accident Statistics 2009 – 2012
      Dunne & Bradstreet Financial Report

a competent CDMc I would Not even consider advising selection of a company for whom this information is not publicly available.
      Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Hi all,

I've recently discovered with horror that some companies provide the balance sheet of my own ltd, as every other UK ltd, on the web for free for the whole world to see (you used to have to go through the process of registering and paying a few quids to do that). A simple google search on my company name (or even my own personal name !) provides my company balance sheet data in the first result page, just one-click away ! Personally I find this horribly intrusive and it sickens me.

Cheers.
        No because using offshore companies scares most agencies away so you won't be able to find any potential clients.

As for seeing balance sheets and profit and loss accounts that is the deal you get in having a separate legal entity with limited liability. If you don't like it and want to work in the UK other options are available.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Try: www.companiesintheuk.co.uk

They show a nice picture of your house using Google street view (assuming your company address is your home address)
          Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Hi all,

Cheers.
            I am shocked that you have to pay for a view to those records. I know of websites that do it for free. Have a look at Company Check Website - find free UK Limited company information.

Comment

Hi all,

Cheers.
              Documents with Companies House is accessible to the public whether free or paid for unfortunately. There are ways to reduce the amount of private information available at the forefront of public access e.g. if you have an accountant, you can always have the registered office and service address located at their premises thus removing your home address from the immediate public domain.

When you file your company accounts, you can file abbreviated accounts (which may you do already) which are a chopped down version of the full accounts.

Comment

Got something to hide have we
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Quite a useful site, I just used it to have a snoop on a bloke round our way who thinks he's the local big I am, he definitely seems dodgy

Did a quick search on him

Company Director check. Companies House Information

he's been director of 24 companies! most of which have dissolved or are in liquidation!

He lives in a house that is worth less than mine ie ~£200k yet has a ferrari, and AMG C63 Merc which was an upgrade from a BMW B7 Alpina so 2 cars worth more than half the price of of your house, hmmmmm

None of the companies appear to have any money or are infact are in debt.

I smell a rat!

Also just used it to see how much the other contractor i work with has got in the bank, the gits got more than me

Comment

I was annoyed that they are revealing the net worth of my company is £19. I was hoping to sell it for millions.
                    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                    X