• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

WFH for a German client

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WFH for a German client

Hi,
    I am new to contracting, and have been offered the chance to contract for a German client but I would be working from home in the UK using the client's laptop.

I am awaiting a contract from the client. I have searched the forum, and I'm confused about VAT, and potential problems in billing the client directly in Pound sterling.

Has anyone ever done a work from home contract with a German client?

Thanks in advance.

re:currency it's simply an issue of getting it in the contract that your rate is £X not €X - any company can easily send payment in any major currency.

re:VAT I don't believe you would be charging them VAT. I am WFH for a Swedish client as a developer and this was the conclusion there. "Place of supply" etc get a bit confusing but I'm sure one of the accountancy people will answer this 2mrw and clarify.

Out of interest, how did you find such a cushy gig? What kind of work?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Cross border transactions are not subject to VAT as long as they give you a valid VAT number.

Which you can check here: VIES

You really want to make sure that your client bills you in £, the Euro isn't looking too good at the moment and that could mean a lot less in your pocket.

Comment

Yep, dont go for euro payment if you can help it. I got stung with that one. Rate gone down from 1.11 a year ago to about 1.25 now so it makes a bit of a difference. And of course, it costs to change into sterling.

Even working in OK for UK agency but european client.

If you do get forced into euro invoicing and payments, drop me a PM and I'll tell you what I know and also best place to convert it back to sterling (i.e not the bank!)
        Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
          You really want to make sure that your client bills you in £
          I'd humbly suggest you make sure your client doesn't bill you.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Although very likely no vat needs to be charged it's not absolutely certain. Depends on what the exact services are. Check the place of supply rules carefully.

Comment

Also, you should add this text to your invoice;

ACCORDING TO ARTICLE 21.1A SIXTH COUNCIL DIRECTIVE 77/388/EEC THE CUSTOMER IS LIABLE TO REPORT AND PAY VAT ON THE SUPPLY

Otherwise you could be liable to pay the VAT by the German authorities.

Comment

Working...
              X