• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hiding to nothing?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hiding to nothing?

Working away from home at moment in a demanding support role. Environment is a bit chaotic but OK. Nice crew. First month I had all sorts of problems with getting required accesses and site specific training but the atmosphere was good and they apologised and made it clear that it the slow start wasn't my fault.

Now, if anything my little team's situation is a little more stable (a bug fix release for the main system last week seems to have gone really well) and I have my feet well under the table.
    However, my manager's manager has several other projects on the go and they are in difficulties. (Concidentally?) He is now questioning my progress and asking why I can't fix problems faster and also take on some of the workload on one of the projects in trouble. The fact that the lack of organisation in the first month is the main reason that I am not more conversant with their systems and common problems has been conveniently forgotten, and I get the impression that reminding him of that will just make things worse.

Nothing has been said but I have a horrible feeling that they see 'professional day' contractors like myself as a blank cheque and suspect that if I started to do 11 hour days (for 7.5hours pay) to help pull one of his projects out of the sh1t that would be just peachy in his eyes.

Sod that. Even though I depend on this guy for renewal I have never worked long hours without big money in return and even then not for more than a few weeks at a time, never ongoing.
    Worth mentioning that several people have come and gone in this role in the last couple of years. I'd love to have a chat with one of them..

It may just be that he has just gone off me. No clue whatsoever here - in 25 years I have always been the bloke who gets along with folk, even those some people can't stand.
    Anyone experienced this? Is the situation redeemable if the ultimate boss just fancies trying a different freelancer?
    My direct boss is OK, friendly and helpful. But I am in no doubt that my needs/fate count for little next to keeping her boss happy.

Hacks me off - I have really put myself out for this gig but I don't think I can stay positive for much longer in these circumstances.

Originally posted by xux42 View Post
    Hacks me off - I have really put myself out for this gig but I don't think I can stay positive for much longer in these circumstances.
    Think of the money. And start looking elsewhere.

Comment

Sod that. Even though I depend on this guy for renewal I have never worked long hours without big money in return and even then not for more than a few weeks at a time, never ongoing.
      Worth mentioning that several people have come and gone in this role in the last couple of years. I'd love to have a chat with one of them..
      The fact you are being directed to do 11 hours and that this is an enduring role that has existed for many years means you are probably inside IR35 anyway so best to get out IMO.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

As others have said, get out if/when you can.

A previous client i worked with once told me that they need things doing quickly, blah blah. I just carried on as normal. I give 100%, nothing more.

"All i have in this world is my balls and my word, and i don't break 'em for no one", some guy once said

If you get renewed, great. If not, would you really have wanted the renewal anyway?
        Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

I presume from your sig that you're working in Guernsey - was there myself a couple of years ago.

Before you get out, make sure you get over to Alderney for a weekend and do a tour of all the pubs (if that's your kind of thing). That'd soon put all your troubles behind you.

Edit: though it could be the other way around & I have no recommendations re Gloucester, I'm afraid.
          Last edited by wurzel; 12 July 2012, 09:20.

Comment

Originally posted by kingcook View Post
            As others have said, get out if/when you can.

If you get renewed, great. If not, would you really have wanted the renewal anyway?
            Thanks all for responses - yes I must keep IR35 in mind and also start looking around possible future engagements.
            Today I had a meeting with the overall manager in which he was quite candid. He knows its a tough gig and that I couldn't magically know their systems and procedures, but had thought I would have been able to work fast from the word go.
            I am working faster, but it doesn't feel natural to 'quick fix and forget' - most of my work in IT has been considered, thoughtful and strategic.
            He was unsure about renewing (3 weeks time) but on the other hand they would be back to square 1 if they let me go.
            In the end we agreed to cut the time I spent on day to day support by more than half and give me one of the struggling projects (a data cleanup which has dragged on for 3 years). This is good - I can see why its mired and what needs to be done.

Plan now is to nail the project in 3-6 months and move on.

Comment

Thanks all for responses - yes I must keep IR35 in mind and also start looking around possible future engagements.
              Today I had a meeting with the overall manager in which he was quite candid. He knows its a tough gig and that I couldn't magically know their systems and procedures, but had thought I would have been able to work fast from the word go.
              I am working faster, but it doesn't feel natural to 'quick fix and forget' - most of my work in IT has been considered, thoughtful and strategic.
              He was unsure about renewing (3 weeks time) but on the other hand they would be back to square 1 if they let me go.
              In the end we agreed to cut the time I spent on day to day support by more than half and give me one of the struggling projects (a data cleanup which has dragged on for 3 years). This is good - I can see why its mired and what needs to be done.

Plan now is to nail the project in 3-6 months and move on.
              You are going to get your contract amended so it doesn't look like you are a hidden permie. Managers dishing out different bits of work is so inside IR35 but at least you can amend the contract to make it look like you aren't.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Get it in writing that you agreed to this. Update/add to the contract or get a new schedule. It'll be worth it.
                Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Working...
                X