• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hit and run and pass and pass and pass and

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hit and run and pass and pass and pass and

How dare this little b1tch make people late for work.

From the Daily Mail

'How could drivers ignore my badly hurt daughter?'
    Car after car drove round this girl as she lay in agony after a hit-and-run accident

Cait Atkins recovers in hospital after she was knocked down by a car
    As the car that had hit her sped away, the badly injured little girl tried to crawl towards the safety of the kerb.

Seconds later another car appeared. But the driver did not stop to help. He simply drove around her.

Then another. And another. Eight-year-old Cait Atkins was left screaming in the road with a broken leg. Last night, as she lay in hospital, police expressed horrified astonishment that so many drivers had failed to stop.

"I have never come across anything like it in the years I have been a traffic officer," said one policeman. "It's not as if they wouldn't have seen her, she was screaming for help at the top of her voice."

Cait had been out walking with her mother and brother and sister near their home in Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire last Wednesday at 8.45pm. She had run ahead with the sons of a neighbour to buy bubblegum at a shop and was crossing the road to rejoin her mother when she was hit by the car.

The impact of the crash threw her into the air and she landed in the middle of the road, her leg broken in two places and blood pouring from the wound.

It took a full two minutes - in which at least six drivers drove around her - for a motorist finally to stop and help the traumatised little girl to the pavement.

Yesterday there was widespread disgust and dismay in the local neighbourhood at her ordeal.

Her mother Tracy, 29, said those who ignored her daughter were just as guilty as the hit-and-run driver.

"I can't believe someone can run over a child and not even bother to check they're okay. It's inhumane," she said.

"But then a whole queue of traffic went past Cait. One car actually stood there as she pulled herself out of the way.

"You'd have thought that anyone in their right mind would stop to help, even out of curiosity. But obviously they were all too busy.

"It says something about the breakdown in community in the modern world where everyone is too busy or too unconcerned to think about anyone else.

"If it had been someone with a knife in their hand I could understand it, but this was just a little girl. You wouldn't treat an animal like this."

Cait has since had two operations on her leg. She is expected to leave hospital this week but will have to return for physiotherapy several times a week and will not be able to go to school for up to three months.

Road safety campaigners and community leaders believe Cait's experience is an indictment of a society too willing to look the other way.

Road safety group RoadPeace said she could have received further injuries or been killed as she lay in the road.

It called for tougher punishments for hit-and-run drivers and those who fail to come to the aid of people injured in accidents. "This case is appalling," said chairman Zoe Stow. "It shows people don't show common decency or an understanding of right and wrong when they get behind the wheel of a car."

Cait and her friends had crossed the road at a point where there were no parked vehicles for around 25 yards. They would have been clearly visible.

In the heat of the moment, the terrified boys she was with, aged seven and nine, ran off to get help, leaving her alone.

Speaking from her bed in Stoke Mandeville Hospital in Aylesbury, yesterday, she said: "I was walking into the road and went to step back when I saw a car but didn't get my leg back in time.

"The front wheel hit my leg and then the back wheel went over it. They just kept going. It started to hurt and made me go all cold. I also lost my bubblegum.

"I was calling for help but other people kept driving past me. After a couple of minutes a car stopped and someone helped me.

"I'm feeling a little bit better but I can't go to school which makes me sad. It's fun at school. It gives me something to do and I've got all my friends there."

Local councillor David Ralph said the hit-and-run driver had shown 'little respect' for the community and called on him to hand himself in to police.

He added: "As for those who ignored the girl, it's very difficult to understand what they were thinking. It's almost inconceivable they would do that."

Thames Valley Police are looking for a small red car, possibly a Peugeot or VW Golf, in connection with the incident.

CCTV at local shops caught passing vehicles but not their registration plates.

PC Matthew Waters said: "There is a good chance there is damage to the vehicle and we are hoping someone will report it, even if it involves a loved one.

"It may be the driver didn't see the girl and didn't realise they had hit her, in which case the sooner they come forward the better."

Police said the hit-and-run driver was not likely to have been driving much beyond the street's 30mph speed limit otherwise Cait's injuries could have been more serious.
    I remember the good old days of this site when people used to moan about serious contractor related issues like house prices and immigration. How times have changed!?

That would be illegal under French law

Non-assistance à personne en danger
    About time they brought that in in the UK
    However, people may be scared of being accused of being a kiddie-fiddler if they take the girls in their arms to comfort her....
    Last edited by Fleetwood; 7 June 2006, 09:04.
    We must strike at the lies that have spread like disease through our minds

Comment

After several, not so happy episodes, involving the hopeless UK plod after going in to help in similar circumstance, I'm sorry to say, but I would probably go around too nowadays.
      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Some people simply don't want to get involved with a minor and all the potential fallout of tabloid-like compensation scare stories and kiddy fiddling accusations. They had this discusion on LBC this morning and although some mention the French legal requirement to stop, virtually everyone said they would do the same and drive around because of the perception that they didn't want to be done on some kiddy fiddling charge. It's disgusting and obviously benn0 types may come out of the woodwork and proclaim that this is further proof how Thatcher created a "me me me" society but in reality, this is the way tabloid sensationalism changes people's perception of reality.

I have been on the receiving end of this: cycling on a road in traffic when my front wheel slipped on an empty CD case and I went ar$e over tip. Every single person drove around me and not one person actually wound down the window and said "are you alright?". Nice.
        If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

A "me me me" society would have taken responsibility and done something to help the child. The left have socially engineered responsibility out of existence. Where was the state when it was needed?
          Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

I blame the government.

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD
              Some people simply don't want to get involved with a minor and all the potential fallout of tabloid-like compensation scare stories and kiddy fiddling accusations. They had this discusion on LBC this morning and although some mention the French legal requirement to stop, virtually everyone said they would do the same and drive around because of the perception that they didn't want to be done on some kiddy fiddling charge. It's disgusting and obviously benn0 types may come out of the woodwork and proclaim that this is further proof how Thatcher created a "me me me" society but in reality, this is the way tabloid sensationalism changes people's perception of reality.

I have been on the receiving end of this: cycling on a road in traffic when my front wheel slipped on an empty CD case and I went ar$e over tip. Every single person drove around me and not one person actually wound down the window and said "are you alright?". Nice.

Excuses, excuses, excuses, I would of helped but... It comes down to the fact people can't even accept it is wrong to do nothing. Where have people's morals gone? The radio phone in stuff sounds like people trying to excuse inexcusable behaviour.
              I would have stopped but then I'm from the North, I was brought up to do things like that. A few weeks ago I was walking through my town and an old lady fell over, I ran accross to help and by the time I got there several people were already in attendance. Sounds like she would have been trodden to death down there.
              Last edited by Numptycorner; 7 June 2006, 09:45.
              I remember the good old days of this site when people used to moan about serious contractor related issues like house prices and immigration. How times have changed!?

Comment

Not sure enough about the detail to make a judgement.
                Mother says she was hit so hard she flew into the air and landed in the middle of the road.
                Girl says she was clipped at the kerb side.
                Plod says slow speed and driver may not even have known.

If she was in the middle of the road and drivers deviated to drive past her then shame on them.

If she was by the kerb then maybe the drivers were concentrating on their driving and didnt see her.

We also dont know what other hazards to drivers there were on the road. Maybe people didnt see her because they were checking thier speeds for the speed camera that I dont know was there.

Not sure I would stop these days. You may be accused of kiddie fiddling, you may get stabbed to death by an irate father who thinks you did it, you may get nicked by the plod for causing an obstruction or you may get robbed by an elaborate deception.

BTW I think the French law is wrong, its a muggers charter.
                I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by Numptycorner
                  Excuses, excuses, excuses, I would of helped but... It comes down to the fact people can't even accept it is wrong to do nothing. Where have people's morals gone? The radio phone in stuff sounds like people trying to excuse inexcusable behaviour.
                  I would have stopped but then I'm from the North, I was brought up to do things like that. A few weeks ago I was walking through my town and an old lady fell over, I ran accross to help and by the time I got there several people were already in attendance. Sounds like she would have been trodden to death down there.
                  Did you manage to get hold of her purse?
                  Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

No we help people for free up here!

Comment

Working...
                    X