• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

very basic question concerning billing

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

very basic question concerning billing

Hello,

I've just begun my first role as a contractor and realised I'm not sure how the time sheets work. The timesheet that I must complete and have signed by the client... is that something that is supplied to me by the agency, or do I just make up my own timesheet using a template such as <snip>
    Thanks for all your help. I've learnt a lot reading this forum!

How many threads in your reading of these forums have you seen something along the lines of "Ask your agency" or "Ask the client"?

Learn that, and I can teach you no more.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Ask the agency. They will need proof of time worked from the client before they pay your invoice. If they don't know how that bit works, nobody else will...
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Some agents are flexible. I was using agency sheets, but they needed doing every week, so I knocked up my own monthly one and they were happy with that. But ask your agency. And good luck with the contract.

Comment

Some clients want you to fill in their timesheet system. You can print the timesheet off and ask the manager at your client to sign it. Use that as proof of hours worked for your agency and send it with your invoice. If you are using a payroller, the timesheets from the client might be enough.

If you are new to this, you can download invoice templates for your limited co from the internet or some accountancy companies websites. There's a nice one on SJD's website for example. Give your invoice a unique reference number and fill in the deliverables provided. Remember to put in the clause referring to the late payment legislation as a nice footer.

Good luck with your first contract

Comment

I keep my own time log in the form of a spreadsheet as well as client/agency timesheet reqs, which can be online or paper, to maintain my own audit of time spent on client site. Simply though, just check with your agency/client.

Comment

If you're going to be using a Limited Company then make sure your invoice has the minimum requirements on it. Company name, registration number, VAT number (if applicable) etc.

Good luck with contracting!

Comment

Working...
              X