• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Project was going fine...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Project was going fine...

Saw the signs coming.

One day this week I was still around at 6:30 pm due to an oversight, and other developers started doing takeaway pizza orders. Sudden need for overtime, in other words.
    Next day, 3 progress meetings in 1 day. Always a sign that more progress is urgently needed, as if meetings would make it so.
    Today, it seems that all bugs must be fixed by Monday morning, so weekend OT all round. PM was even ringing round people who are on vacation, to get them to do the weekend.

Damn. I don't recall seeing "Death March" in the contract requirements.
    Last edited by Ignis Fatuus; 24 August 2012, 13:31.
    Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Yep, all very familiar, but why would you do a weekend overtime at a couple of hours notice?

It seems to me, given this situation, that the PM needs the techies more than the techies need the PM; as is often the case, the techies don't realise they've got the managerman's arm in a half nelson and instead of giving in, they should twist it a bit further.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Dilbert - Death Spiral
      Wibble

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
        Yep, all very familiar, but why would you do a weekend overtime at a couple of hours notice?

It seems to me, given this situation, that the PM needs the techies more than the techies need the PM; as is often the case, the techies don't realise they've got the managerman's arm in a half nelson and instead of giving in, they should twist it a bit further.
        I'm not doing it. I said that I have previous arrangements involving other people and I'm not available.

I believe that I am shorter of time than of money, so I'm not interested in selling more of the former than I have to. And as is often said on this board, your (or management's) bad planning is not my emergency.
        Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

Working...
        X