• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can one really drink home-brew straight if it hasnt had vigorous straining

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can one really drink home-brew straight if it hasnt had vigorous straining

I used to make home brew right. About 20 years ago

it was always cloudy and full of sediment, but it never did me no harm. It never rotted my guts like.
    Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger eh ?
    Everyone eats a bushel of sh!te in their lifetime- confucious said that, or einstein. or it might have been oscar wilde.

anyway, must dash. I have the wildies again

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post

it was always cloudy and full of sediment, but it never did me no harm. It never rotted my guts like.
    Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger eh ?
    Everyone eats a bushel of sh!te in their lifetime- confucious said that, or einstein. or it might have been oscar wilde.

anyway, must dash. I have the wildies again

Never used to strain. You siphon it after primary fermentation leaving the sediment behind and then don't dring the last few pints from the bottom of the barrel. Was always perfectly clear.
    The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Originally posted by speling bee View Post
      Never used to strain. You siphon it after primary fermentation leaving the sediment behind and then don't dring the last few pints from the bottom of the barrel. Was always perfectly clear.
      You're telling EO not to drain the barrel dry? Good luck

Comment

...vigorous straining
        Morning after the curry night before.
        nomadd liked this post

Comment

Takes me back, about 20 years too. Used to have two barrels, one drinking and one clearing and usually some fermenting in the bin. In the latter years I invested in a float tap that took the clearer beer from the top so I didn't have to wait as long.
          But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
            Takes me back, about 20 years too. Used to have two barrels, one drinking and one clearing and usually some fermenting in the bin. In the latter years I invested in a float tap that took the clearer beer from the top so I didn't have to wait as long.
            Tom Caxton beer kit. I remember those.

TOM CAXTON - PRODUCTS
            nomadd liked this post

Comment

Did you not used to just pour from bottles in one go, leaving the last inch of beer (containing the sediment) in the bottom of the bottle ?

In my youth, I had a pressurized barrel which left a bit of beer under the level of the outlet tap, so the sediment (or most of it) didn't end up in yer guts !
              When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

I used to put double sugar in to make it really strong. trouble was, any more than three pints and it would take the enamel of yer teeth.

So I used to take it into the pub and flog it in the bogs and use the money to buy carlsberg.
                sold like hot cakes it did.

One day I had a spare 10p, so I put a song on the jukie (something I very very rarely do) and I felt something hit my shoe.
                It was my 10p
                Someone had robbed the jukie and the cash tray was gone. So I nipped home
                got a holdall and my raincoat, then camped out by the jukie all night. All the coins went straight past my coat and into the holdall.

I was blooming loaded for a week. but if I ever hear Dolly Parton, or 'coward of the county' again, i'll bloody murder somebody

(\__/)
                (>'.'<)

Comment

I used to put double sugar in to make it really strong. trouble was, any more than three pints and it would take the enamel of yer teeth.
                  Used to do that too and use it for parties. Also homemade brandy, requires a melon, brown sugar, a door, a bucket and a pair of tights. Scrape the fruit out of the melon into one leg of the tights and add the sugar. Hang from the door handle with the toe of the leg of the tights with the ingredients over the bucket. Leave for a few weeks and voila...cheap blinding booze.
                  Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                    Used to do that too and use it for parties. Also homemade brandy, requires a melon, brown sugar, a door, a bucket and a pair of tights. Scrape the fruit out of the melon into one leg of the tights and add the sugar. Hang from the door handle with the toe of the leg of the tights with the ingredients over the bucket. Leave for a few weeks and voila...cheap blinding booze.
                    wow, I gonna try that.
                    I'll just have to whip the wifes tights off without laddering them. They were a bit tight on me anyway

(\__/)
                    (>'.'<)

Comment

Working...
                    X