• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Business SIM only deal

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Business SIM only deal

Hi all,
    In the last few days, I've been searching for a good deal to buy a phone through my business. Most plans for business costed A LOT more than personal plans...I nearly gave up, but I found this deal today and bought it!

500 mins, 250 texts and 500mb(via free Internet booster) for just under £10 incl VAT....on Tmobile

£80 cashback via top cashback!

Hope this helps someone....

Bluedrop

You get 80 quid cash back on something that is worth £120+VAT a year?

And the savings of this over a personal one come to how much exactly?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Or just take out a personal tariff and ask them to add company name to the invoice, then pay from company account.

Comment

Originally posted by captainham View Post
        Or just take out a personal tariff and ask them to add company name to the invoice, then pay from company account.
        I dont think this is valid. The phone is still contracted to you personally not the business. And yes I think HMIT will spot this one very easily.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          I dont think this is valid. The phone is still contracted to you personally not the business. And yes I think HMIT will spot this one very easily.
          If its a £10 a month contract is it really worth the effort required to open Business Account. You'll save about tuppence ha'penny in tax.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Don't see why not based on the following:

Page 56

22.1 There is no charge to tax on:
            - one mobile phone provided to an employee, or
            - any line rental or the cost of any private calls for that phone paid for by the employer unless they can be converted into money by the employee.

Comment

Oh, and to cover off all bases:

"La la la I can't hear you I can't hear you!"

Comment

Don't see why not based on the following:

Page 56

22.1 There is no charge to tax on:
                - one mobile phone provided to an employee, or
                - any line rental or the cost of any private calls for that phone paid for by the employer unless they can be converted into money by the employee.
                A good reference and that sounds pretty clear to me.

The reason people disagree with you is that there is other guidance on HMRC's website that contradicts this and says the contract must be in the company name.

The 480.pdf is dated 2012, maybe this is newer advice than the link I gave above.

So, which one is right? As usual, the tax rules are as clear as mud and it's going to be a matter for interpretation.
                Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
                  A good reference and that sounds pretty clear to me.

The reason people disagree with you is that there is other guidance on HMRC's website that contradicts this and says the contract must be in the company name.

The 480.pdf is dated 2012, maybe this is newer advice than the link I gave above.

So, which one is right? As usual, the tax rules are as clear as mud and HMRC will apply the ones that suit them the best.
                  I've fixed your post for you

Of course the sensible thing for me to do would be to transfer the account to the company name properly, but as Vodafone are a useless shower of , they even managed to chuff this one up royally, so I gave up in the end.

Comment

I've fixed your post for you

Of course the sensible thing for me to do would be to transfer the account to the company name properly, but as Vodafone are a useless shower of , they even managed to chuff this one up royally, so I gave up in the end.
                    Funnily my experience with all this was with Vodafone as well. They wouldn't even put the company name on my personal bill either. They promised they would but never did after a number of chases so went back to my accountant for advice. It was them that suggested it should be contracted to company to avoid any risk. The returns on doing this through the company just didn't make it worth any kind of risk so I didn't bother.

Comment

Working...
                    X