• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

From permanent to contract in the same company

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From permanent to contract in the same company

I know this is quite rare for obvious political reasons (and for fear that other permies will follow the path).

But has this actually happened to you (ok, perhaps in a small company is easier)? Any experience?

Does this make you a strong candidate for IR35 in this situation?
    I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Well, IR35 was allegedly introduced to stop this sort of Friday to Monday shenanigans so unless your working practices changed dramatically you would find it difficult to construct a case I think.
    I'm Spartacus.

Comment

yes it happened to me, long long ago it made for a very comfortable transition into contracting, special circumstances enabled it to happen...

those days of the dot com times eh. i was offered a contract, elsewhere,
      told the chief, match it or I am orf

the rest is history

them were the days

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus
        Well, IR35 was allegedly introduced to stop this sort of Friday to Monday shenanigans .
        The only times I have ever seen this (Friday-Monday contractors) happen, it was the companies who were pushing for it, to reduce their official headcount. Ironic really.
        His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

From contract to permanent in the same company

Don't do it. I tried it once. Never again

Comment

Not seen it in IT but certainly in O&G/Engineering companies.
            If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by bobhope
              Don't do it. I tried it once. Never again
              What happened Bob, am curious.
              I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Originally posted by Francko
                Does this make you a strong candidate for IR35 in this
                situation?
                ffs, need you ask?

Comment

DO IT!!!

You'll have the IR rubbing thier drty little mits all the way to your bank account

Comment

At the last client site they laid some people off, and gave others early retirement. Well, they found out a month or two later that they needed their skills, so lo and behold who should pop up, but the laid off workers, but this time as contractors. They seemed happy about it. But it is rare. Most companies seem to have clauses in the contract that expressly forbid it, including moving to another site as a contractor.

Comment

Working...
                    X