• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Have a load of past CUK posts gone missing?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have a load of past CUK posts gone missing?

I was trying to locate a thread from a couple of months ago, to update it. But in the screens of my past posts, the posts go back to about 5th Oct 2012 and then abruptly continue from some time in 2011, with a huge gap between, and I have been unable to dredge up the thread in question despite searching on words I remember it contained.

Also, if I have a post count of 6000 or whatever, shouldn't the screen of my past posts say something like "showing 20 to 40 of 6000", instead of the mere 120 or so which my list shows?
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    I was trying to locate a thread from a couple of months ago, to update it. But in the screens of my past posts, the posts go back to about 5th Oct 2012 and then abruptly continue from some time in 2011, with a huge gap between, and I have been unable to dredge up the thread in question despite searching on words I remember it contained.

Also, if I have a post count of 6000 or whatever, shouldn't the screen of my past posts say something like "showing 20 to 40 of 6000", instead of the mere 120 or so which my list shows?
    Something to do with the archive folder. The search routine isn't searching some of it. I think Admin is to cheap to pay for space.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
      Something to do with the archive folder. The search routine isn't searching some of it. I think Admin is to cheap to pay for space.
      The issue seems to be related to the installation of tapatalk. Its almost as if the search database was reset and restarted without doing a historic trawl.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Its mostly old crap isnt it. Some noobie asking a question and NLUK telling him they arent fit to be a contractor. Didnt want to read it then, dont want to read it now.

Comment

You mean my wisdom is no longer archived for posterity? What will I leave my kids now?
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

It's as if the CUK forums are being run by Google's usenet team

Seriously, if it doesn't sound pompous, in 50 or 100 years all our conversations might be a valuable or at least very interesting resource for some people (as for many of today's forums). It would be a shame to casually ditch it all just to save a few pennies on disk space.
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
              in 50 or 100 years all our conversations might be a valuable or at least very interesting resource for some people
              I expect they'll have a good chuckle at whichever side of the climate change debate turns out to be wrong.
              While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                I expect they'll have a good chuckle at whichever side of the climate change debate turns out to be wrong.
                They'll be chuckling at Sasguru regardless
                Coffee's for closers

Comment

They'll still be in the database I would imagine, its just that vBulletin insists on dealing with search, including things like a user's past posts, in a totally weird way

That's also why the "1-20 of 120" happens: it initially limits results to so many pages back, but treats that limit it imposed as the count of results As you go back, it'll raise that limit and show a higher total.

And don't even bother trying to post a link to a search results page - it links to a cached result tied to your user ID, which won't work for other people and/or after a certain time has elapsed

Comment

Have you rung IS helpdesk ?

Comment

Working...
                    X