• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Confirmation of arrangements doc

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do these docs need to be signed by HR or other official channels like legal at a client?

Reason I ask is my old contract project owners would be happy to sign these forms for me but is a "friendly" in your old client space enough?

Originally posted by Butcheroo View Post
    Do these docs need to be signed by HR or other official channels like legal at a client?

Reason I ask is my old contract project owners would be happy to sign these forms for me but is a "friendly" in your old client space enough?
    IMO it's best to get the client contact who you work with/report to. In my case I got the PM on the project to sign it.

Getting HR to sign it is not a good idea IMO.
    Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

I agree about going to HR. just wondered if the signer had to tell their people they were doing this and if a single PM signing was enough

Comment

I'm about to ask HR to sign one....

Originally posted by Butcheroo View Post
        I agree about going to HR. just wondered if the signer had to tell their people they were doing this and if a single PM signing was enough
        I'm selling it to them that it is as much for their benefit (stating that I'm not an employee) as it is for mine. I'm currently drafting the covering email which will be something along the lines of;

HMRC can go back 6 years with a review and relevant people may well have moved onto different jobs or the paperwork is not easy to find.
        Confirmation of arrangements letter clearly sets out how the 2 businesses (client and MyCo) will work together.
        Can stand on file at both parties if there is ever a dispute about employment status.

I'm purposely not emphasising that I want it in place to protect my tax situation!!
        Last edited by SarahL2012; 22 October 2012, 12:25. Reason: spelling!

Comment

In my experience, you need either of the following:

1. The Accounts department (who authorised the purchase of your company's services)
          OR
          2. A signature from someone at the clientCo who has authority to make purchases.

Your PM could well be authorised to raise purchase orders for contractor services.

Just my 2 cents.

Comment

Originally posted by SarahL2012 View Post
            I'm selling it to them that it is as much for their benefit (stating that I'm not an employee) as it is for mine. I'm currently drafting the covering email which will be something along the lines of;

HMRC can go back 6 years with a review and relevant people may well have moved onto different jobs or the paperwork is not easy to find.
            Confirmation of arrangements letter clearly sets out how the 2 businesses (client and MyCo) will work together.
            Can stand on file at both parties if there is ever a dispute about employment status.

I'm purposely not emphasising that I want it in place to protect my tax situation!!
            Yes, it certainly benefits both parties. It would save your client an inordinate amount of time in the event of an IR35 enquiry (which is now more likely to happen than ever).

Also, if you didn't have the CoA in place and you were caught by IR35, you could potentially take your client to an employment tribunal and claim retrospective employment rights, so it's in their interest to ensure you are IR35 compliant in the first place.
            Qdos Contractor - IR35 experts

Comment

Working...
            X