• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Client Facing Skills: How Do You Get Them?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Client Facing Skills: How Do You Get Them?

Client Facing Skills

Alright, in the contracts from 2003 to 2008, I worked in various teams. I worked with a business analyst, I have noticed a trend, where the B.A and even the project manager is out of the picture. Sometimes tough requirements come in or extremely picky and demanding manager comes in with stuff that really needs to be done yesterday. Usually the B.A or the team manager has taken the sword of the team, because I am older I have to learn to take the sword, the question is how do you learn this diplomacy, negotiation, whatever X factor skill that the other fellow has that I do not seem have at all

How do you get them?

What is the starting point?

If you have client facing them, how do improve them?

This preamble was much shorter now, are you happier with that question?

Common sense could be said to be a basis for most softskills such as this. Can learn everything possible from a book but if you don't have the common sense to see where and when to apply it you are a little bit screwed IMO....

And to solve something you need to know where the problem lies. I think a long deep and honest look at yourself and see where you are actually going wrong. Do you punch first ask questions later, so need to look at anger management, are you unapproachable, make the wrong decision, unflexible enough to deal with different situations.

Find the root of the problem then start to look for a solution. This sounds a bit more fundamental than some softskill you can learn IMO.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 2 November 2012, 13:30.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Depends what your problem is:

Too weak and drop your trousers whenever there's the need for a scapegoat.
      Don't get your message across.
      Don't get listened to even if given the chance to speak.

From your last 2 posts it seems you have a problem with getting to the point of what you are trying to convey. Is English your first language, are you a nervous/quiet individual, are you confident in your ability, if you are confident are you actually right?

Comment

Of course, I am English.

I just do not like writing at all. I got a flipping 'F' in O'Level English. In fact, I hate writing, because I am not good at it. I prefer the sciences, which I did in A'Level before a year out travelling Europe and then doing a sandwich Physics degree at University. I so much prefer speaking rather than writing.

Just cheesed off finding myself in this situation. No worries, mate. Sorry to bother all of you. I will muddle on until the next gig. Opportunity will keeps knocking. Thanks for all the advice so far.

Comment

Here is my advice...

Get a book called For Your Improvement (FYI) or similar competency based self improvement book
          Work out which competencies are required for your role
          Each competency will have 'over use', 'under use' and leveling advice
          Everytime you encounter a situation where you need to use one of these competencies, think about how you did or would approach the situation. The book will advise whether you are over using or under using that competency and some steps on how to get back to an ideal situation.

For example if one of these competencies is something like 'business understanding' and you are asked to do something and you just dig your heels in and say no. The book will say you are under using it by not assimilating the request against value or business need. To fix it it will then probably say something like 'Don't respond immediately. Tell him you will get back to him. Later when you have calmed down and had a clear head think about the requestors needs and how it fits the business and if your actions will help or hinder the situation. Once you have weighed this up respond to him as required based on your decisions not on your gut feeling.

At the end of the day though you will only get better by thinking about each situation and fixing it. There is no quick fix and no book that will help if you are not willing to assess each situations and be honest when pointing out your own failings. Arrogance and failure to acknowledge your own mistakes are the main stopper to improving.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Find the root of the problem then start to look for a solution.
            Apart from you're writing ability you still haven't acknowledged where your weakness is. Unless you know the problem you can't improve on it or ask others for advice on it. The picture we currently have, is that you are not doing well when facing the client. That could be anything from someone who stutters under pressure to someone who is not confident in their proffessional ability.

Always address your weakest facet and if you can't spot a specific thing ask someone else, they can be a much better judge than you can as long as you let them know to be a honest as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Scoi View Post
              Apart from you're writing ability you still haven't acknowledged where your weakness is. Unless you know the problem you can't improve on it or ask others for advice on it. The picture we currently have, is that you are not doing well when facing the client. That could be anything from someone who stutters under pressure to someone who is not confident in their proffessional ability.

Always address your weakest facet and if you can't spot a specific thing ask someone else, they can be a much better judge than you can as long as you let them know to be a honest as possible.
              And yours too

Comment

Originally posted by captainham View Post
                And yours too
                Of course that would be a deliberate error. I can't write for toffee, equations and graphs with the summary "well aint it obvious" are my forte.

Comment

Originally posted by Scoi View Post
                  Of course that would be a deliberate error. I can't write for toffee, equations and graphs with the summary "well aint it obvious" are my forte.

Comment

Wasn't AussieLong offering classes in this?
                    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Working...
                    X