• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Interview in Brussels

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interview in Brussels

Wednesday, first formal one for ages. I've read the Belgium threads, don't fancy this one at all, just really going for the practice, the trip and it's something, this being me back on the bench as of today. Only a three monther.

Going on Eurostar, out tomorrow lunch, back Thursday evening - anything to do in Brussels? I mean apart from whoring and drinking?

Anyone any BE style interview tips, is it more formal, less formal? Being interviewed by a panel of four so that's going to be nice.

Are you in the city? If you get time go have a look at the Atonium. Pretty interesting. You could also wander around the city to look for the famous Manneken Pis but be prepared to be disappointed when you find it. The city hall has an amazing lightshow on the front of it from time to time, not sure if it is seasonal but it pretty interesting if it is on.

If you are a diver go have a look at Nemo 33, they have the worlds deepest indoor diving pool at 33m.

I had a great meal at the Belga Queen with a place that does famous mojito's round the corner but forget it's name. http://www.belgaqueen.be/home.asp?city=1&Lang=1
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Cheers NLUK, I am in the City, Euroclear, no idea whats it's like but I don't care - it's money!

I do like my Belgian Abbey Ales but that's for after the interview, maybe a few the night before.

I can't swim! well, I can, badly, 25 mtrs of breast stroke and I'm fuuked. Not going near any pool I can't stand up in all the way along with my chin above the water. I am 6'4" tho.

I'm one min from City Hall apparently, Moon Hotel, only two nights if it's crap!

Comment

There is a nice little collection of bars in a block opposite the stock exchange. If you are looking at the city hall the stock exchange is a block or two to your right and across the main road is some allys with some nice cafe type bars but there are loads all around that area. The little boy is on a street running down the left of the city hall a couple of blocks but don't blink or you will miss it.

Shame you couldn't wait until the xmas market is out infront of the city hall but its not a social trip I guess lol...

Comment

Stek, you're an SC cleared AIX person working @ the DVLA from memory? It sticks in my memory cos I was looking at the same thing a few months ago. I just had a call about a gig there. Might be worth pinging your agency and asking?
          And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
            Wednesday, first formal one for ages. I've read the Belgium threads, don't fancy this one at all, just really going for the practice, the trip and it's something, this being me back on the bench as of today. Only a three monther.

Going on Eurostar, out tomorrow lunch, back Thursday evening - anything to do in Brussels? I mean apart from whoring and drinking?

Anyone any BE style interview tips, is it more formal, less formal? Being interviewed by a panel of four so that's going to be nice.
            Wiggo can think of 365 things you can do. Get yourself a nice glass of Belgian beer, since back and enjoy a good meal somewhere.

Hope you enjoy the trip.

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
              Stek, you're an SC cleared AIX person working @ the DVLA from memory? It sticks in my memory cos I was looking at the same thing a few months ago. I just had a call about a gig there. Might be worth pinging your agency and asking?
              Yeah, I'm slated for a free transfer back there in Feb when the next load of work comes in. I think it will, I got to know the ins and outs of that account while I was there (twice!). May well turn out to be a bit later but I do know that all (bar one!) contractors have gone, and remember I was on 'build' there not support. The roles advertised now are support, and the rates are a bit poor, £269/day. I was on over £500 there.

So I suspect when the build work comes in again, the rates will be shiite, and no-one will go, panic will set in, rates will go up again. Because Swansea is a long way from anywhere!

I was contacted about the support role though! One lad moved from build to support for £350/day and two days at home so that's not so bad. But that's only cos he'd been there so long I think. In fact I'd do that! Perhaps I was hasty, bollocks!!

Gonna crawl to agent now, dammit b0redom, I hate you!!

Comment

Originally posted by Gentile View Post
                Wiggo can think of 365 things you can do. Get yourself a nice glass of Belgian beer, since back and enjoy a good meal somewhere.

Hope you enjoy the trip.
                I will, actually treating it as a jolly with an interview in the middle, all on the company unless NLUK jumps in now about BIK and shiit.....

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                  I will, actually treating it as a jolly with an interview in the middle, all on the company unless NLUK jumps in now about BIK and shiit.....
                  Now what makes you think I would do that? I didn't think for one minute you would even consider putting all this beer and frivolity through the books

... and I don't think me going all BiK on your ass would stop you doing it anyway

Comment

This is a good restaurant.

I do remember having a good lunch there.
                    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Working...
                    X