• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Unlawful bank charges

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unlawful bank charges

I know there are a couple threads already on this forum about this BUT I cant be buggered finding them.

Anyway, after a three month fight I finally got my fees returned on the 20th. Wasnt much, £205, BUT it was the principle of the matter that really annoyed the hell out of me!

AND...checked my account this morning and the feckers had taken another £50 in charges! On the phone and thirty minutes later got an agreement from the bank to not only return the fees BUT to also not take any further fees in the future!

Whether that actually works or not is yet to be seen though.

So the moral of the story is, if banks charge you for going OD dont just take it, fight it because the banks know their fee's regime is unworkable (but they rely on apathy and ignorance to not return fees to their customers).

Mailman

Happy with your bank?

Is anyone actually happy with the level of service they get from their bank?

I.e. is anyone willing to recommend theirs? Or are they all just a bunch of useless, jobsworth, red tape shrouding, money grabbing feckers?

Comment

Originally posted by Mailman
      ISo the moral of the story is, if banks charge you for going OD dont just take it, fight it because the banks know their fee's regime is unworkable (but they rely on apathy and ignorance to not return fees to their customers).
      and be ready to be given 30 days notice of them closing your account!
      Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

I got all my charges back from HSBC after sending them the letter quoting the OFT's announcement...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by MrsGoof
          and be ready to be given 30 days notice of them closing your account!
          Could be some interesting legal action coming up over that one

However the threat of closing your account shouldnt stop you from pursueing your bank to return fees they were never entitled to anyway.

Mailman

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife
            Is anyone actually happy with the level of service they get from their bank?

I.e. is anyone willing to recommend theirs? Or are they all just a bunch of useless, jobsworth, red tape shrouding, money grabbing feckers?
            I've always found that if I keep to my side of the bargain I have no problems.

Comment

Originally posted by ASB
              I've always found that if I keep to my side of the bargain I have no problems.
              If only it were possible to bargain the T's & C's with the bank ASB...if only.

Luckily for us there are laws (albeit ones ignored by banks) in place that stop banks from charging like a rhino for supposedly "breaking" your bargain

Mailman

Comment

Originally posted by Mailman
                If only it were possible to bargain the T's & C's with the bank ASB...if only.

Luckily for us there are laws (albeit ones ignored by banks) in place that stop banks from charging like a rhino for supposedly "breaking" your bargain

Mailman
                There is no supposedly about it. I don't know the details of your experience of course, but presumably you went overdrawn without authorisation. Most likely that was due to timing; the inordiantely long time it takes to clear credits is certainly an issue.

Whether the charges they impose are fair or lawful is, of course a different matter entirely.

Ultimately if you don't write cheques for which you do not have the funds then the situation does not arise. I concede that it is really easy to cock it up though.

I am arguing over 20 quid in charges from Nationwide my wife encountered. I transfer a chuck of cash on the last day of the month, a bunch of her standing orders go out on the 7th. She assumes (quite reasonably in my opinion) that the funds will have arrived and cleared by then. A couple of months ago the transfer took 14 days to clear and she got stung.

Currently Nationwide won't refund because it was an unauthorised overdraft - strictly true. Barclays won't because the money left my account on the right day. No one will own up to where the cash was for the fortnight....

I have suggested that she forwards the OFT decision etc, but she really can't be bothered. The banks do get away with it through apathy.

Comment

Doesnt Alliance and Leicster charge charges on top of their charges once you go OD?

Hear some horror stories about people getting OD by a few pounds then get the £35 automagic OD fee, then a couple days later get another fee on top of that!

Before banks stop this kind of carryon its going to require someone to take them to the high court and create a legal precident...only then will banks stop charging like a bull in a chingaling shop!

Mailman

Comment

Yes, I believe Abbey do that. £30 unauth o/d fee plus £15 per honoured transaction, plus interest while o/d.

It sucks.

Comment

Working...
                    X