• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Offshore Shareholder

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Offshore Shareholder

Hi,
    I am a director of a limited company and the only shareholder.
    Is it legal to have a 50% Offshore shareholder (an Individual) for my limited company ?

Originally posted by anki View Post
    Hi,
    I am a director of a limited company and the only shareholder.
    Is it legal to have a 50% Offshore shareholder (an Individual) for my limited company ?
    Yes, but it's not an easy path to a Work Permit for foreign shareholder if that's what you're thinking...

Comment

But if it is a member of your family and not your wife you will get in to trouble as well if that is what you are thinking..
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

First-time poster and both 'offshore' and 'shareholder' are mentioned...why do I suspect OP is up to something here....

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          But if it is a member of your family and not your wife you will get in to trouble as well if that is what you are thinking..
          Not necessarily true though is it, being the shareholder isn't what could cause problems it's the potential for income splitting (tax evasion) that could be an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by JamJarST View Post
            Not necessarily true though is it, being the shareholder isn't what could cause problems it's the potential for income splitting (tax evasion) that could be an issue.
            Yes which is exactly what I believe he is attempting to do...

Comment

I think it's a Bob on Tier 1 or 2 and has a Ltd and wants to bring a family member over by thinking the visa system can be bypassed by the method outlined.

Lay your bets, pls!

Comment

How about if its not my wife, but who is about to be my wife in 4 months time, but would be still working offshore for couple more months? I guess I got the answer from the above posts

Comment

I presume you mean a spouse who is based in your home country.

Basically you can and the shareholder will pay tax on any dividends in the UK, the tax paid is then usually offset against tax paid overseas.

You need to check with an accountant but this is what I would expect.
                  Last edited by BlasterBates; 29 November 2012, 15:21.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by anki View Post
                    How about if its not my wife, but who is about to be my wife in 4 months time, but would be still working offshore for couple more months? I guess I got the answer from the above posts
                    Erm, can anyone make any sense of this. I don't know if I won or not.

Comment

Working...
                    X