• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agent asking for NI number

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agent asking for NI number

Hi, long time lurker but barely posted as I generally find what I need through the search option. By the way I have found a huge amount of information here.

I've just been asked by an agent for my NI number and told they need it to put me forward for a role as the client wants it. I see no feasible reason for them needing it and politely refused, but wondered if anyone else had come across this.

Originally posted by bluetoaster View Post
    I've just been asked by an agent for my NI number and told they need it to put me forward for a role as the client wants it. I see no feasible reason for them needing it and politely refused, but wondered if anyone else had come across this.
    Probably part of their identity checks. I would just give it to them....
    Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

I've been asked for this recently, but just ignored the request.

I'm wondering how someone can use someone's NI number to confirm identity? The only reason I see to request it is if it's needed to fill in some form for HMRC.
      Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Originally posted by kingcook View Post
        I'm wondering how someone can use someone's NI number to confirm identity? The only reason I see to request it is if it's needed to fill in some form for HMRC.
        Same here.

The agent said the client used it to identify duplicate applications so I suggested they use name and address. I don't see that though.

Comment

Same here.

The agent said the client used it to identify duplicate applications so I suggested they use name and address. I don't see that though.
          Some agencies build candidate profiles - and NI is on it. A few years back the agency was chasing that up long after I categorically refused their offer. Apparently they needed that to complete my profile for future references.

Given the outsourcing trend I would be careful who get hands on my personal info.
          Last edited by mos; 29 November 2012, 20:38.
          If UKIP are the answer, then it must have been a very stupid question.

Comment

Same here.

There's no way (or at least I don't know of a way) to validate an NI number against a name/address. So if someone were to be putting in duplicate applications (Why TF would they anyway), they could just give any old crap.

I'd decline giving reasons above. If agent unwilling to budge just give a crap number.
            Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Originally posted by kingcook View Post
              I'd decline giving reasons above. If agent unwilling to budge just give a crap number.
              What is the point of doing that? All you are going to get is more pestering if they do need it and it is wrong.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

The threads below mention a couple of reasons they might need it.

http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...-number-2.html

http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...want-info.html

http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...request-2.html

http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...175-my-ni.html

Varying reasons such as ID checking you are not an illegal, client requires it as part of process, compliance reasons etc.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Thanks for that. I have more to learn about the search option.

Comment

Thanks for that. I have more to learn about the search option.
                    no problem
                    If UKIP are the answer, then it must have been a very stupid question.

Comment

Working...
                    X