• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Turning down work/extensions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I find it really hard to do! I had one client lined up at the start of this year leaving me plenty of plan B time, but an old customer asked me for some time and I couldn't turn down the money. Then I renegotiated with them for even less hours next year but then the first client wants me to carry on and as it's a 1-man dev-team I'd be leaving them somewhat in the lurch.

It's OK, I'm not after advice - but do you find it easy to turn down work? I always feel I should take any opportunity to maximise the warchest since I've only been doing this 5 years...
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Ditto.

Only been contracting around 3 years and have been offered a string of renewals from 2 clients. It's just too easy to say YES. The work is waiting there for you, and the money ready to be handed out to you. How can someone say "no thanks"?!

If i'd have got pissed off with the client i'd have handed my notice in anyway (easier to say now I have built up a nice warchest)
    Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

I won't be accepting an extention in March even though I know they've lined me up until the end of the year.

I have a business model and it works for me (but I have been a contactor for 10+ years).
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
        I won't be accepting an extention in March even though I know they've lined me up until the end of the year.

I have a business model and it works for me (but I have been a contactor for 10+ years).
        same here, just accepted an extension until end of March but i think you know when to call it a day especially as i have been here for (Cough) years, but it is difficult to turn down when offered

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post

Are you the poster who used to be called 'Gentile' may I ask ?

Comment

Originally posted by JoeyD View Post
            Are you the poster who used to be called 'Gentile' may I ask ?
            She isn't but I'm sure she'll appreciate the comparison (not).
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I find it a difficult call.

My main two objectives for contracting are (1) enjoy more time off than in normal employment and (2) have more variety of work/locations/industries.

So if I get offered an extension I'm concerned that I'm (1) turning down an easy source of money, (2) casting myself at the mercy of a terrible market for finding future income, and (3) damaging my prospects of going back to the original client in future.

But sometimes, in the balance, to achieve my objectives it's just necessary to turn them down. My rule of thumb is when travel expenses can no longer be claimed, it's a hint that it's time to go.

Comment

So far, I've been pretty lucky and have not wanted to turn down any extensions I've been offered.

I read some of the horror stories on here and I'm glad I have been at a gig like any of those yet. Long may that continue too.

Comment

I find this one of the hardest things and have been in a situation many times where I hope I don't get offered an extension so I don't have to make the decision.

My main objectives for contracting are 'more time off', 'more variety' and the main one' not feeling stuck anywhere for too long' but there is an underlying pressure to keep myself in work for fear of being out of it too long, which has made me take extensions in the past which given the choice I probably would not have and moved on or had some time off.

I'm hoping this mindset will change when I get my finances all setup the way i want.

Comment

Since we're on the subject, my reasons for contracting are:-

1. More money for same job, same job security ultimately.
                    2. No more worrying about internal politics/reviews and tulip.

But not :-

1. More time off - I actually take less time off.
                    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X